Hand Filing - Free-hand

If it was my post that was good I say Thanks if not, thanks anyway.

I found the 2 in 1 stihl file took the depth gauges down too low when I observed someone using it. They didn't seem happy with it either. The saw cut really aggressively.

There is several and its not a "one for all" type thing.

this is sort of a spin-off from a conversation in another thread of mine.

Trying to learn to hand-file (round) "free hand".

Below are photos of my "chips" from my latest attempt at hand-filing my ms461 w/25" bar

It isn't 100% "sawdust" ... and there are some *bigger* chips, but not the way it is supposed to look.

View attachment 91956

View attachment 91957

Note the wide variation in chip sizes...is this a clear indication that some teeth are sharper than others?

.... or does it have anything to do with teeth being all different sizes (Buckin Billy said same tooth size didn't matter at all).

The depth gauges/rakers should definitely be low enough.
-- I used the single tooth Husqvarna type filing gauge followed by the Oregon "saddle" type (spans 2 teeth with depth gauge sticking through slot in center) just to make sure.

Do these chips give you enough information to diagnose any specific errors I'm making in my filing?

thanks for looking and commenting.

I just wanted to say that this is a great thread that Robert started. Very educational to read all of the veterans views on this skill set.

Robert, we're all hoping you are well. Come back to us if you are able.

Tim

Does anyone hand file square chain.... I just realized the two saw I just bought have square chain.... never dealt with it....

I know I can just file it round.....

But is it worth keeping it square?

Ive never used the stuff. But they say if you are cutting a lot of clean soft wood, square is real good

I hand file it, when I have any. There's a thread here on either square specifically, or Brendonv's filing thread where we talk about it. It's awesome in clean wood. Hit dirt or tramp metal and it may never be the same again.

Regardless if its soft or hard the square cut better than same chain and wood roundfiled.

I am learning this still. Don't get as much practice as I would like.

I've heard a decent round filing beats rookie square filing.

It's good for cutting timber.

Personally, I use it, then round file it. Too many other things to learn, now.

Hey, Butch! A mild derail, but I was wondering if you know how long a forum member has to edit a post once it has been made? I noticed a typo in a previous post of mine that I wanted to fix, but the "Edit" button was not available to me. I guess I never noticed a time limit to add to or change an older post before this. Thanks for your time.

Tim

I'd think this forum would have an edit history feature where boss can go back and restore posts to a previous version. I've seen that before else where. Even the user can review his own edit history on a post, just not others. I'd really like the edit function to be lengthened to at least a couple weeks or month in case I want to go back and change the title of a thread, or things in that first post (like updating the dates in the 2511t raffle thread, but we got that figured out, kind of).

Thanks, Butch. Are you willing to disclose what the new time limit is, or is it something we have to discover through trial and error? It's too bad you found it necessary to change this function in the first place. Thanks again.

Tim

No time limit. The only reason I ever did it in the first place was because of one certain member who spazzed out and edited every one of his posts to "frig you, Butch."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5XcKBmdfpWs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hahahahaha....

I was like looking at some weird shit, square files, backwards, like some Cro Mag Macullough stuff.. then I was like oh yeah, Bailey's..... 261, 372, 395 two chains a piece.... braaaaap.

I ca

Back