What to look for in used small chippers

Looks nice, hope it works well!
Those fenders make a fine out-of-the-way spot to mount a vice for field sharpening. Mind the tire lol.

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html?cid=paid_google_pla_main_newproducts_highersales_lessthan$10_69778&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-wNXB-XXGV7i_z-SbWKid8DXjWolOnQ3y9lAbp_F3To95zbPaKWFaxoChvwQAvD_BwE

These help backing-up narrow trailers by magnetically sticking to the frame. Extend as needed.

Or, red flexible gas pipe tubing screwed to the fender at a 45° angle. I leave 2.5 or 3 feet hanging off each side of my chipper all the time to watch its tracking while towing and for backing up. It just bends out of the way if I need to walk by close.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Jonny: great idea, the fenders are strong enough to be stepped on. I was thinking of welding a few hooks on the back to attach my log/brush cart.
I use plow markers for the wood splitter because it is so tiny. The back up camera has been a savior when working alone. It even has a dashed center line to show the trajectory of the ball.

Some days I can hook up the chipper one pass, and also back it into the tightest windiest places. Other days I should just go do something else

Not for towing down the road. :D

Any convenience of the front hitch is offset by having to unhook and rehook I'd think. I've never had a front hitch for a trailer.

Just stick something out so you can see it in your mirrors and go slow. Backing up is easy. Grab the steering wheel by the bottom and turn it the direction you want the trailer to go. Easy peasy.

People have asked me why I back up so slowly. I always fork with them and say, 'it's so when I hit something I don't do much damage'.

I am a good backer-upper, but some people need all the help they can get. Some people have good spatial-relational intelligence, some less so.

A funny thing to do when backing up with someone in the truck is to hit the brake hard and hit the outside of the door with your left hand. They always think you smashed something. Funny to do at a parking space, and pretend you're hit-and-running the parked car in the space behind you. As you drive away and they're panic-y, hit the outside of the door again, and smile. Warm weather prank.

Either you know how to use your mirrors, or you don't.

There is NO sticking your head out the window!!!

Some days I can hook up the chipper one pass, and also back it into the tightest windiest places. Other days I should just go do something else

Same here.

Actually I find the worst is a straight line reverse, on a single axle chipper you only get to see it when it’s already gone too far.

People have asked me why I back up so slowly. I always fork with them and say, 'it's so when I hit something I don't do much damage'.

:lol: that was my dad's advice for docking a boat too, how as fast add you want to hit something hhahahahahaha

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html?cid=paid_google_pla_main_newproducts_highersales_lessthan$10_69778&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-wNXB-XXGV7i_z-SbWKid8DXjWolOnQ3y9lAbp_F3To95zbPaKWFaxoChvwQAvD_BwE

These help backing-up narrow trailers by magnetically sticking to the frame. Extend as needed.

Mick. Cheap assistance. Always with the truck.

When I say always with the truck, I mean, you only need one set per truck, not per trailer. I have three work trucks, but 5 trailers, and wood splitter. My grinder was originally a tow-behind.

They move so easily, no fabricated mounts. Also, having a telescopic magnetic tool can reach a dropped bolt or whatnot. The magnets are stronger than smaller purpose-built, magnetic pick-up tools.

Back