Cold showers

I reckon so Jim.

We are right under the flight path from Scandinavia to Spain/Portugal.

With my plane identification app thingy you see a lot of traffic.

If the Danes are anything like the Swedish or Norwegian elderly people I know, they will be on route to the same apartment complex they have been staying in for the last 15 years. Usually Gran Canaria, Majorca, Spain, Tenerife *

*Delete where appropriate.

The mail order bride lies naked in the green house in winter.

Getting some sun rays is the best cure against winter depression.

Some of them might visit solariums for the same reason.
And a bunch of them migrates south.

I just bitch and moan in the winter, makes me feel better. I'm going the opposite route here, getting an electrician in tomorrow to finally wire up my hot tub that's been sitting in my carport a few years now. Cold showers? Never in the winter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig did you read the article posted about sun and vitamin D and health issues? Interesting stuff re sun exposure as one moves further northward

Thank for posting this Cory. I am a full week in and I doubt I will ever take a hot shower again. I didn't even watch the whole video as I found him annoying. But his comment on skin hit home. I have always had horribly dry skin. ashy as they get. Like when I take of my long johns and it looks like I just swept out the wood stove ashy... I also loved hot showers. I think like itching a scratch. My skin after just one week of cold showers feel better than ever in my whole life... And its the middle of winter when its usually at its worst. So thanks again Cory. Ill keep y'all posted.

Wow that is totally awesome!!!!

You're in Detroit, I trust your water is utterly frigid? Like, numbing after about 5 seconds? If so, how do you cope with the brutality of the cold shower? I get it, the pain/discomfort is worth it in spades for the payoff with your skin improvement, and maybe that is the only secret. But holy chit it is difficult x 10! And you say you loved hot showers, does this mean you are getting in the cold shower straight away, not hot-showering first? :\:

Wim Hoff is the progenitor of the recent rising popularity of cold water lifestyle and he combines it with a lot of breathing mechanisms to achieve results that are medical/science break throughs, you should check him out, tons of stuff online. And the book 'What Doesn't Kill Us' is good if you want to read some hard copy on the topic https://www.amazon.com/What-Doesnt-...47916247&sr=1-1&keywords=what+doesn+t+kill+us

I really appreciate your checking in with your experiences, eager to learn more too, thanks.

I have always loved swimming in cold water and it always feels so good. Its odd to me that I didn't make the connection sooner. I would always follow up a cold swim with a hot shower. My technique now involves bumping on the hot air so the bathroom is nice and toasty and my shower head has a button to turn it off which allows me to soap up in peace and then rinse it all off. But no hot water at all. Its weird to me that such a simple thing with such big health benefits to me would never occur to me for 40 years. My 3 YO has my dry skin. She likes hot showers too. But what the guy in the video says is true, from the very first cold shower I took I recognized immediately the benefit to my skin. So strange.

Its weird to me that such a simple thing with such big health benefits to me would never occur to me for 40 years.

Aint life amazing?

How long do you stay in for? Is it numbing and insanely difficult?

Getting the bathroom nice and toasty helps. I think switching from hot to cold would be worse, in certainly not wasting any water, but it does feel so good. I have been finding myself really looking foward to my shower.

I don't f'g believe it, my wife who shares non of my harebrained ideas, took one this morning.

You know he doesn't have to set it for maximum cold even if he lived at the north pole. Point is cold in general and not a hot shower. I'm going to start these too since I have dry skin. One year I thought it wasn't as bad. Now I think that's because I didn't take hot showers, just roughly room temp ones, maybe slightly colder. It felt cold at first, but after a minute I'd get used to it and almost feel warm again. After a hot shower the dryness and itchyness kicks in maybe an hour later.

You know he doesn't have to set it for maximum cold even if he lived at the north pole. Point is cold in general and not a hot shower.

You probably onto something there.

Ive heard it said that (very) cold showers are harder to endure than ice baths.

I always assumed a hot shower would help me sweat a little afterward to remoisturize my skin with natural oils and salts, but it doesn't seem to work.

I just take a warm shower.

Like just past medium I guess.

Wife says its cold.

Same here, Jim. M thinks I'm all out arctic, but her shower would near about burn me.

Of course, it's only fair to point out that she regularly swims for several minutes in high mountain lakes that I can barely stand to dip in for seconds, just enough to wash the sweat off before retreating to my towel :).

As they say, different strokes for different folks.

I had a banger of a cold shower yesterday, stayed in for about 2 minutes of ice coldery, that is about 1.5 min longer than I've ever done it. Progress!! Definitely awesome!! Looking forward to today's!

l move all around to get the water on all parts of me and I was screaming and yelling thought. I was a little hoarse from it later:lol::|:

Back