Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Cold showers

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I find the heat from a shower soothing to my muscles. I feel like a instant cold shower could cause some exerted muscles to clamp down. I'll wait though to see if any of you all report any issues. I love a hot shower, my skin is fine with it.

I may indulge in a hot bath one of these days if my muscles get sore... but most days I have no problem with muscle soreness. dry skin is related and contributes to arthritis... something that worries me. But so far I haven’t had any cravings for a hot shower. Like I can’t really see giving up, say beer or coffee being easy. That would be almost impossible. The pleasure of a hot shower is easily forgotten I think.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Not my way of thinking!!!

What's that about arthritis?

Have you considered doing the Maaco Half-and-Half car-thing, as an experiment? Wash cloth and soap on one side of your body, just soap on the other. If you've got dry skin, might you be exfoliating too much.

Some areas might be tougher and more durable, like armpits, that can handle scrubbing.?.?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Yah what's the deal with dry skin and arthritis? I don't have dry skin but I've got some arthritis I believe and the heat from my hot shower feels unbelievably soothing to my abused hands.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354076

I have, or what is close to being psoriasis. Scaly dry skin, especially on knees, ankles, elbows, hands, and feet. It seems to be that hot showers were the culprit, as removing that one factor has made more difference than anything else. I have been advised before to lower the temperature on my shower for my skin by various doctors and the internet, But playing with the dial has always led back to HoT, because I think that's natural.
    Luke warm is no fun, and if your adjusting than why not crank it hotter... I have used every lotion in the book. I guess one thing about hot showers is that it opens up your pores, so I would just absorb the lotion straight into my body. I don't think too much exfoliating is the culprit. I use pretty mild soap, not too much of it and don't scrub scrub except where dirty or stinky. In hot showers I would spend most of my time just zombied out, enjoying the heat running over my body. The part that makes this transition so easy, unlike quitting a substance like beer or coffee, is that cold showers do feel pretty damn awesome. It feels like trading one pleasure that harms for another that doesn't. Hot showers are great but, there are consequences for some. If your skin is clear and feels good, than there is no need to give up hot showers as far as I can tell. If you do have dry and flaky skin, then give it a shot. I did, just on a whim because of this thread and he said from the very first shower you would see results. I can confirm that the man was truthful.

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

Squish, have you tried rooibos tea (from South Africa)? Supposed to be very good for joint inflammation, esp. in the hands.