Computer, Home Theater and Electronic Gadget Thread

I bet a few. Some of the younger guys at work are into the video games and it's crazy some of the shit that they talk about. Something like the top level players of the popular games rake it in. Just off you tube views of their matches and stuff like that. I don't know. I kind of zone out when they start talking about vids. Takes me back to the arcade days, drilling quarters and shopping for appropriate sized washers. Lol.

It seems that most of the guys I work with in the 20-30 age group are really into video games. Young families and everything and they're talking about hrs and hrs spent playing vids. Generation gap slap. Lol.

He was playing csgo (counter strike global offensive) and something else. I used to play cs (original version) and dod after getting turned on to my neighbours in my dorm room, they were both computer engineers iirc. They both were in an invite only league, right under guys who were playing for a living by having sponsors and doing tournaments. That was in 2001 or so, it's grown exponentially since then, where a bunch of people make a living doing it now with all the twitch and YouTube stuff.

These games were all multiplayer, where people actually play against people. Specialty computers were required on the higher levels, because they literally push the limits of the hardware. And the difference between normal people and these guys is huge, it's like playing basketball against pro athletes. Even my dorm neighbours couldn't play with normal people, because they would walk all over everybody

I went a little crazy in my room, most everything is second hand. Yamaha natural sound HTR reciever, Yamaha tape deft, Sony CD and a Technics turntable. The MCS reciever is used as a phono preamp for the time. 75wpc, five channels with an LFE output for the sub. I’d planned on upgrading to more power, I don’t need it! Efficient speakers help tremendously. I really wanted something clean and loud.
I found a set of these for my mains, http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1&type=1&spkrID=22 and the matching center channel http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1&type=6&spkrID=23
My surrounds are Yamaha http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/yamaha/ns-a738.html
Originally I had an MTX PWR15, 15” bandpass subwoofer running off 200w, but it’d been pretty used and abused before I got it and it would start breaking up bad when I pushed it hard, and got steadily worse. It’s also HUGE! I ended up with a “little” Klipsch 10” 100 watt sub. https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-100sw-subwoofer Don’t let the specs fool you, it blows away the 15” setup I had, I’m seriously impressed. Watch towards the first of the year, they have crazy sales, I only paid $180 for it new.
I’ll try the picture thing, see how it goes. The black in the corners are basstraps I built to help contain the noise, not speakers.
CBEE45F4-D04A-4114-AA93-A37AB1236C99.jpg 96C572BF-6518-47A8-95B3-A4BB42F832BF.jpg

I have to agree, I’d read that they were more “musical”, but had a hard time believing it. Bigger is always better, right? I believe it now.

I just bought a new tower, big step up: 3x the cores .1ghz faster base speed, SSD with HDD. Not as good as your laptop (i5), but it should be a lot better than what I have now.

I always swore I'd never buy a prebuilt computer, but my last one was a Dell I5 refurb from microcenter in 2018. That replaced my self built c2d machine I built in 06. It was slowly falling apart, and finally gave up the ghost. Pretty good run for a machine that spent most of its life with a 30% overclock.

I just don't care anymore. I used to be /into/ computers, and thought I might like to get into IT. The thought of working in a bureaucratic box scares me, and computers just aren't as fun for me as they were. I don't game anymore. Tired and resentful of drm hassles, and gaming was where I really needed horsepower. I now run some kind of gnu/linux on all my machines, and just do routine stuff. Tree work's taken over as my hobby.

We are still in the Trust Tree here yes? In the nest?

Anyway......my folks like to listen to music. Especially out on the patio.....which is actually a sitting area away from the house like 40 feet. They have a detached garage and storage shed there.

Power is right there.

I recently discovered Pandora radio and I showed it to them. I use my laptop and a B and O speaker.

We are trying to figure out how they could get Pandora out there at the patio......without having to lug a lap top out there.

Is there some sort of radio that has a WiFi in it? Is there a speaker that would transmit Bluteeth 40 to 50 feet?

My folks dont have smart phones and are not very tech savvy. They have a Bose radio out there with one CD.

They are looking for some variety.

We must keep our composure!!!!!!! Quite possibly the most quotable movie ever!

Yes most construction radios anymore have wifi built in, or you can get a wifi plug in deal that plugs into the auxiliary for input or headphone jack for output. You can then modify those to go farther than they should, my neighbor buddy did one that will go up to a mile or something :lol: You can also run pandora on a phone or tablet, so you can like songs, skip ads, skip songs, or change it right there from their chairs. I'll try to talk to him this weekend and see exactly what he's got and where to get the info to modify them, i know it wasn't very expensive.

I'm going from a 2 core Pentium to the i5 with an SSD, so as long as Win10 doesn't have a matching demand, it should be way faster. Actually this old pentium was really fast when we first got it. I tried running a hand full of programs (playing a video, while running a game or two) and it never slowed down. Now it's a snail.

@FireFighterZero I'd get a cheap prepaid cell phone, and whatever to hook it up to. A 2.1 speaker set would be cheap and sound good, though you'd have to connect it with a cord. If they're only using it for music, it shouldn't be too complicated to learn.

edit:
What I mean is use it as a compact tablet, not buy cell airtime for it.

Bought this for my daughter for Christmas, she’s been very interested in photography lately and has always been into art. She has a small cheap digital camera that’s seeing a lot of use, and the cell phone camera.
From what I’ve read, it’s a great entry level DSLR. The kit comes with the Nikon D3500 and an 18-55mm and 70-300mm, plus my bro has an 18-140mm lense he’s gonna give her too.
Between my brother and my dad, she’ll have some experienced guidance.
8195BC37-1B76-42A4-AD6E-7852F4B7D344.jpeg

Back