How do you prepare for winter storms?

Eric H-L

Treehouser
Curious how you prepare your business or your own home life? We are expecting our first heavy snow of this season. (Probably not too major compared to some of your climates) I was at Lowes and saw people buying snowblowers and repair parts for snowblowers. I started to wonder if I should go into full prepper mode! I have a job tomorrow for a neighbor I can walk to.... Check. Plenty of food and water and batteries: check. I stopped at the library and got 4 DVDs ...and an analog book, just in case! Now I am washing clothes and dishes in case power goes out.

People get wacky about it sometimes. Pretty sure anyone could survive a week with a box of cereal so long as the water is still running.

Generators are cool, but they don't like sitting idle for long periods of time. A bigger power inverter should run a sump pump or the circulation pump on a little household boiler system, and you can just toss it in the closet til you need it.

Global warming took care of our winter storms.
Not much left to prepare for, anymore.:cry:

Personal: canned food, distilled water, candles, lamp oil, batteries, generator, diesel cans, firewood. We have at least 2 weeks of food on hand at a given moment, so no real risk of starvation.
Work: rain gear, muck boots, extra fuel (diesel + gas), sharp saws, work lights, tarps. Not really much special preparations. Business as usual, just under frigid or mucky conditions.

Oh quit whining. It ain’t cold till your vehicle had a guy taking a shit on the dash.

-4*. In car language it appears better

I prepare by making sure I have firewood. Other than that. Nothing special. Maybe get fuel in the trucks prior to a storm and a few extra groceries. There is always a few hundred pounds of meat in the freezer so I’ll survive. Even if that runs out, I can skin a buck and run a trot line.

Personal: canned food, distilled water, candles, lamp oil, batteries, generator, diesel cans, firewood. We have at least 2 weeks of food on hand at a given moment, so no real risk of starvation.
Work: rain gear, muck boots, extra fuel (diesel + gas), sharp saws, work lights, tarps. Not really much special preparations. Business as usual, just under frigid or mucky conditions.

Like this here too, for the most part. No generator, don't need it, can borrow the neighbors to cool the fridge/freezer down if power is off more that 72 hours. That's the only problem for us if the power goes down for a significant time. We have a creek and water filter, if the 25 gallons or so of potable water we keep in jugs in the house runs low. Flush the toilets with a bucket of creek water. Propane range top in the kitchen. Woodstove heat. Oil lamps, Coleman lamps, candles.

Nothing to it.

Back