Silvey grinders

frans

TreeHouser
Cleaning out my shop when I came across this:
1 Silvey 510
1 Silvey depth grinder I think it is the hdg-6
3 or so grinder wheels
1 metal grinder wheel diamond tipped. I seem to remember paying north of 200$ for it

Everything barely used

I just don't do the work anymore and my shop is too cluttered

$1500.00 for all

Reluctant to ship but will if no one local grabs them

Armchairarborist@gmail.com

ttt

Any idea where OP would be shipping from or pick up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Frans,

I will take it if it is still available. I sent you an email as well.

I got the email thx
Still pouring rain so will have time today to take pics.
Sonoma county ca. 95448 Shipping will be a bear. I guess I can build a box. Wood will raise shipping but maybe protect better than cardboard? Hell I dunno, never shipped anything like this before

The stands bases and poles make for awkward bulky shapes...

Yep on the shipping being a bear. :thumbup: Need to find a local like I did.
I posted mine on FB and a local I knew came and got my grinder with stand.

Yeah, it's understandable. I bought a Silvey off of Willy a few years back and I can't remember how he had shipped it. Maybe he will see this and help out my foggy memory with some insight.

UPS stores will pack and ship nearly anything. I'm sure the cost will hurt, but the simplicity is worth a look.

Didn't work for me, when I shipped my Hobbs to Pete.

UPS basically told me to take a flying frig at a rolling do-nut untill that thing was boxed in wood.

Little bit of history.
My local saw shop grinds +\- 30 chains a week. They have two 510s been using them for about 15 years he said. Mine has ground maybe 200 chains max since I bought them from Baileys. Actually Nickoli (sp) Bailey himself sold them to me long ago.

The other day I trashed the chain on my 88 real bad making a low stump cut. One of my helpers grabbed it and feverishly sharpened it on the tailgate. That is when I decided to sell. Just don't use them anymore. Shame to have them sit idle.

These Silveys are good machines, too bad the company is no more. For fun I posted on Craigslist. 6 responses all seem serious, One guy from Canada! I guess they are popular.

Are you waiting to see if some one is going to take it locally first? Willie had used fed ex and just shipped the silvey in a box.

No you got them. I just need to bring them down to the shipping place. Freaking pouring rain here, now today got an emergency job. I will call you when I get a chance. Thx

Didn't work for me, when I shipped my Hobbs to Pete.

UPS basically told me to take a flying frig at a rolling do-nut untill that thing was boxed in wood.

Huh. When I shipped a Warn 8274 winch to Frans, I just carried it to the local UPS store, set it on the scale, got a price for packaging and shipping, paid it, and walked out. That thing was heavier and more awkward to deal with than a Hobbs, I would think.

Back when my mother died, my sister and I took 3 pieces of antique furniture to another UPS store...same deal. Not huge furniture, but a small desk with marble top, a matching end table, and a chair.

Dunno.

Different countries, different rules, maybe.
Different attitudes, for sure.

I had put it on a small pallet and boxed it in cardboard.
Was told in a very impolite way to go home and box it in wood.

I shipped my first stump grinder in a cardboard box on a wood pallet via UPS. A US Praxis little grinder kinda wish I still had it.

Dunno B. But I know most shipping Cos have a weight limit to cardboard boxes drivers would have to lift for fear of injury/WC.
So palletizing might be required anymore.

Yup. When i ordered my welding lead, 250 feet of 2/0, it came on a reel. Very very heavy. So the asshat driver simply backed down my driveway, and rolled it out, crushing the reel, right in front of the wife's car. While i was gone for the week. Thank God i have great neighbours. So they will ship about anything.

Home video cameras are great for those situations. A local FedEx guy lost his job within hours when a friend posted a video of him kicking boxes out the back of the fedex truck on Facebook.

Dropped off the grinders yesterday. My shipper lady, a client, seemed to think it was no big deal. We will know by Monday what the shipping costs are

Back