Rigging rings

I like a little friction in the canopy usually. I’d like a really heavy duty shear reduction device.

I spliced up a rig n ring type with the Xrings years ago. I also got hold of the largest mother they do in the Xrings and spliced a huge whoopee sling with a prussic to capture and hold an additional xl ring in place.

I think I have used them less than a handful of times. Generally blocks for me.

I prefer the midline attach-ability but also my main rigging line has a termination knot in the end. Firstly I had it spliced but the splice wouldn't fit in the cambium saver style ring setup I have. When I cut that off I tied a termination knot in the end. I get the rings out and rigging line and then look at the knot and can't be arsed to untie it, so back go the rings and out come the blocks.

Pretty much the same experience here. Made my own slings and loopies with them. Only use once in a great while. I was going to make a more easy retreivable set up when i got round to it. But hell, two steel rings and a loop runner works a charm when needed. When i need the guys to simply lower something being away from the tree, that is where rings shine. Friction already there, they can stay out from under the tree. This is a nice option when you have dead limbs and hangers that could cause injury while working the tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Used the block again today, so fast, smooth, and easy.

I use a basic old school rope snap for 'knotless' rigging attached with a bowline to the 1/2" bull line. Combine that with a block up top and 2 steel rings anchor bended to 3' of 1/2" line for an excellent redirect that passes the rope snap through it no problem, it is a supremely simple and effective set up imo.

Last edited:
Back