Do throwlines wear out?

Conde Mick

(condescending)

Willie -- 10-4 on the top...had a 6-8 ft juniper top land in my lap once...I was pushing real good but not good enough; could have used a throw line to pull it in hindsight (actually came back at me and landed ON the spar and the roof about 1 foot away...brush was way heavier than expected and a storm was getting closer...rush job). Lots of folks around but NOBODY saw it happen. I worked real fast to hide the evidence.:D

I’m just Michael Dempsey on Instagram, I hardly ever post. I just use it for some Tree guy vids, Game of Thrones actresses pictures etc.

Not being condescending Gary (for a change) Willie posts some great stuff on there.

I use dyneema line. It cuts the hands so the gloves are hightly advisable at least. A stick is way better if the line becomes stuck. You have to found a bit a sound wood, not the awerage dead limb laying on the ground, because it's painfull when the stick shatters under both the pull and the squeeze by the throwline.
This tinny line is very strong, about 550 lbs to break it. Pulling over a top can be bone easily, as long as a man can do it by hand.

They are strong but they do wear. Firstly, the coating impregnating the line wears on the outside by friction and dislocates in between the fibers by the tangles and the knots (intended or not). So the line becomes very souple, with a gentle feeling for the skin, but prone to tangle. Secondly, the fibers wear out too and the line gets a fuzy look. Don't wait too much to replace it, because the number of fibers is very limited and the line's strength drops quickly. I did that once and pushed it too far ( just one more job!) and the throwweight fleed away freely in the crown.:bummed:
But the first ten feet takes the most of the beating. The main length keeps a relatively good shape and the end in the bag's bottom is rarely used. So you can just flip it end to end and get an almost brand new line, with the same length.

I would like to find out where to get the substance that zing it is coated with. Take an old floppy line, stretch is out, spray, let dry and viola new line. Maybe.
We use throw line a lot. It does get expensive
Our expression is: ya either get it on the first, or the 13th throw!

I’m just Michael Dempsey on Instagram, I hardly ever post. I just use it for some Tree guy vids, Game of Thrones actresses pictures etc.

Not being condescending Gary (for a change) Willie posts some great stuff on there.

Mick, I thought you were on there as La because ?

Or is that just a work account.

It's a proprietary formula made from teflon, beeswax, and silicone.

In other words you have no idea where to buy it? Or are you simply telling us you know what it is? ??? Confused...

Our expression is: ya either get it on the first, or the 13th throw!

:lol: I SO get this, and didn't that happen to me yesterday...nailed the first shot to about 60'...started to pull it back to drop down and it was stuck under a bark plate way up top and wouldn't drop...pulled it out...12 shots later...(we'll probably 6 but it felt that long when you know people are watching from behind their curtains)

I love when I'm missing a hard shot by just inches. You can't give up cuz you KNOW you will eventually get it... all you can do is just get pissed!

When I bounce the weight off the main stem two inches below the branch , I just say it proves the shot is do-able and continue trying

We're a bunch of gentlemen, so it's 3 strikes and you're out. And another fella steps up to take a shot at it in turn. Well, unless the first feller proves to be a stubborn one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't you like it when you flake everything out just perfect, draw back and throw and then about 80 percent of your throwline goes flying upward about 10 feet behind the throwbag in a basketball size knot?

Or the bag is headed PERFECTLY at the crotch and you find out...too late...you had a foot on the line....

Me too 8)
That's why I use the least as possible this damned thing and prefer my 16' telescopic pole for all the trees with low limbs up to 25'. Handy but it doesn't help to correct the induced lack of training with the throwline.

Build one tall enough, we may even make it to the moon some day.

Back