Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Fun with Stumps -- and more

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

The frak is THAT? A humane bear trap?

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Hahaha... Imagine a head in the circle. Magnifying glass
    Gary

Thanks all.

I have one of those in my shop, Gary ... I think it's 1.5x (no built in light).

They have 2x and 3x reading glasses now for about $1 ... may try them.
    - Robert
    Slowly trying to make a profit in tree work with my neighborhood tree service.
    Thinking I want to become a Certified Arborist.
    www.PoagvilleTreeService.com

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

If outside I try to use the sun at such an angle that it reflects off the edge I am filing. If I see a reflection it's still dull. No reflection...good.

On a bench I'll set up a light to try to get that same effect.
    Gary

I can see the threads in my arborwear pants if I use my 5 y.o. cell camera's 4x's zoom. I can see well enough, but will use it to show my groundman what's up. He's coming along well.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

ha, Sean, you are full of ideas, always helpful. (I think my Galaxy S5 is around 4 or 5 y.o............ trying to justify getting an Apple iPhone, version 6 on up for the improved camera)

Gary... correction... mine is 2x

So is it just the top plate that you care about getting the edge with no reflection?

.... still that is only part of the goal, right? ... there is still the hook and side plate?
    - Robert

The top plate, front working corner, front end, takes the beating. By the time you get the top plate right, the side plate is right. You need the right bevel angles and C-shape on the side plate, established by file size, and proper depth (about 10% above the top plate), and correct filing angle (usually 25 chisel, 30 micro-chisel/chipper/ round-top, 10 ripping/ milling, without tipping the file up or down--0*).

While learning, keep a new chain on hand for reference, comparison and contrasting to you chain being filed.

File early, file often, and don't cut dirt. Yesterday, my employee blunted the chain on a ground saw to the point of it not bucking a small log when I picked it up. He might have cut a shingle in the mix of branches off the roof (tree in roof). Rushing while cutting will mean a bunch of practice at filing, and making no money.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

when hand filing do you just sort of estimate the 10% of the file above the top plate?
    .... this seems one of the more difficult concepts/skills to me.
    - Robert

The bottom of the gullet should be basically flat, as it is when new. This will result in 10% above, if using the right sized file, which will give the right profile.

People often have the 'floor' of the gullet toward the rear of the tooth rising, by pulling up or not pushing down enough.

Cough cough, don't get apple, cough cough....
    Kyle