Question on the Health and strength of my tree

SpacemanSpiff

Treehouser
Ok. Just bought this house a few months ago in Southern California. We are on a well systems and this pine type tree gets plenty of water and the space that is blank dirt space next to it is where the septic tank is. There is a slope as you can see in the pictures covered in wood chips. (not sure if any of this information is pertinent but figure the more info the better)

The tree is about 2.5 feet in diameter, not sure what the 2 main limb diameters are.

Plan (very rough ideas) :
Would like to put in a Treehouse.
Supports: (supporting 4 corners... Square platform) Use tab and brackets on each limb, one post (6x6 or?) straight down, and a knee bracket for the corner that is heading towards the slope.

Size: not sure on size. thinking of a platform about 12x16. Would like a small room with a couch and bean bags and TV for the kids to play video games etc. But also a patio for the adults to sit and relax.

OK so how does the tree look? Need more pictures?

Like to pictures of the tree:
http://imgur.com/gallery/wdklvzU

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Star Traveler! What is your first name? Mine is Butch...

Before any treehouse... I'd brace that split, then incorporate cabling the top of the tree into the treehouse design.

Again, welcome! :beer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reply Butch! Name is Jimi. I'll look into what kind of brace for the tree!

Thanks! Should it be a solid connection (long screw connecting both limbs) or can I have a bolt on either side of the limb (all the way through) with a eye loop and connected by a cable?

It's gonna take a treeco that does that types of bracing that drills all the way through the tree - most don't do drilling and a lot won't even cable. If you can't get it drilled/braced at least get it properly cabled higher up. That would be better than doing nothing at all.

It also wouldn't hurt to lighten the top, if possible.

Thanks! The braces for the tree house aren't going above the main trunk (going to weld up a yoke that will be roughly 8 feet wide with 2 tabs in the tree) ,and I do plan on thinning out the tree for sure... Just a little windy and cold at the moment. I looked up treeco and there is a treeco arborist near me! I'll give them a call tomorrow!!

I think MB just meant a tree company, not treeco in particular. But maybe I'm wrong?

Anyways welcome to the Treehouse. And treehouses rock. Sounds like a cool plan, but personally I'd leave the video games out of it. Give them some pocket knives and slingshots orrrr something of the like instead.

From the images, that union looks pretty bad. My be worth having a tree risk assessor out for a chat before you get too vested in a tree house

I would not drill holes in the trunk. The split can be reinforced enough by the structure.

Nick Araya is TreeCareLA and very good with support systems.

Mark Porter in Riverside could probably refer you to someone.

And I would not waste time with risk assessment. Better to spend resources on arboriculture.

I'm gonna piggyback my question on this thread. As you can see in the picture, the line clearance guys have worked their magic on these trees. Heck,I even had a turn on them 15 -20 years ago before I bought the place. You can see where the dead "lateral" is entwined with the live stem on the left. Is there any school of thought in leaving the dead piece there as "support" wheras without it the remaining stem would be floppy?

I realize the trees are on their way out, but they provide privacy from a low rental apartment block and I'm just getting all I can from them until some volunteer Manitoba Maples get bigger. The speed that trees grow around here, that's gonna be awhile.:(
20190512_085938_resized.jpg

Back