Orchard Ladder

I use a loose tie in any time I can when I'm near the top of a 16 foot ladder tipping back branches with a 12 foot power polesaw overhead. And it often makes the job.

I use a loose tie in any time I can when I'm near the top of a 16 foot ladder tipping back branches with a 12 foot power polesaw overhead. And it often makes the job.

Times like that are for an experienced ladder worker with sound knowledge of how something will fall, from a solid experience base, IMO, far from new guy terrain. Woody, how's your balance in general? Age and falling are not compatible. Ladders are great tools, and clearly high-fall-potential tools.

In construction anything over 6 feet you have to tie off. Doesn't always happen, especially when using ladders, but it's never a bad idea. I've also been known to walk ladders around while being on them, but that's a normal step ladder on smooth level concrete, and even then it's still not a good practice. Remember, many people have been hurt severely or died from something as simple as slipping on ice

One of my former apprentices fell from an Orchard ladder while trimming a tall hedge.
Fell right on top of the trimmer and got his arm chewed up real bad.

A high volt friend of mine just destroyed his ankle falling off an orchard ladder cutting a branch at his house on the weekend....

Times like that are for an experienced ladder worker with sound knowledge of how something will fall, from a solid experience base, IMO, far from new guy terrain. Woody, how's your balance in general? Age and falling are not compatible. Ladders are great tools, and clearly high-fall-potential tools.

yeah, I worked on ladders for 2 years installing windows, storm windows, siding, etc. in early 30's. -- 6' step ladders to 28' extension ladders (with "stand-offs" to push it away from the wall.... wouldn't want to be without them)

but at 65 balance isn't what it used to be.... really getting a "phobia" of ladders because of hearing of cases of falls, (like y'all have posted) etc. especially getting older.

But tieing in.... safely... that seems much different .... i.e. tree climbing (with harness) is safer than climbing ladder (without harness)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd go over the edge of the earth on a rope but I really look for any way out of getting on a ladder. My Dad used to have a rickety 16 ft aluminum extension ladder that had a bent leg. It would start shaking and it wouldn't quit until you get off if it. It may be me shaking and carrying through the ladder. Either way I just don't like ladders. But I think an orchard ladder would definitely have its place.

Back