Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchard Ladder

Default Orchard Ladder

Hey all. Anyone use an orchard ladder? I have about 50 Bradford Pears I have to shape up for a subdivision. I can get about 50 to 75 percent of each tree with the powered pole saw. It's really not worth carrying the bucket over there for. It's about 45 minutes away. If it was 5 or 6 trees I'd pole saw them then climb up in them and finish with the Silky. That might be my best option anyway. Another option is use my climbing belt and 2 lanyards and tie myself between the bails on the brush grappel on the tractor and be driven around with the pole saw. I've done that before but it is uncomfortable and kinda slow. I've been considering buying an orchard ladder just for this job. I hate ladders worse than just about anything and refuse to use one on my job except for roof access. Anyone use them or have any opinions on them? Thanks, Ben.

They have their place for sure , almost bought one a few years back ... Company in Maine or Mass. still makes them , old school wood or new age aluminium.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Awesome tool. Sometimes you Can find them used in good shape. They have a place in our work for certain.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

TreeHouser Sponsor

I use them a fair amount. Frequently work uneven ground and on decks. I think it's worth paying extra for an adjustable leg and slippery surface kit (cables to keep leg from opening up more, rubber under each foot/leg.)

Every single time I ascend I set each leg by shock weighting it to get it to sink as far as possible.

I also use orchard ladders. The Tallman brand ladders are lightweight and well made.

http://www.tallmanladders.com/products.htm

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

An orchard ladder is on the short term acquisition list for us. Extension ladder only if we have roof access needed or a 30'+ to lowest limbs oak.
    For Bradford Pears, I always recommend ground level pruning, though.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Orchard ladders have their place in treework for dang sure!
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:20 PM. Reason: Dang! That's already been said, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Altissimus View Post
    They have their place for sure , almost bought one a few years back ... Company in Maine or Mass. still makes them , old school wood or new age aluminium.
    Baldwin Ladders is up here in Maine. The ladders are beautiful, lightweight, durable, and fit into tight crotches.

They are absolutely the best fruit tree ladder I've used. But.. I spoke with the builder, Peter Baldwin at a fair last year, and he said he's not able to get osha certification in his ladders.

If that doesn't bother you, then they is nothing better. The pointed tip is really secure feeling. Made for orchards though. If you need a ladder for use on pavement there are better choices with grippy feet.

I second the basal pruning suggestion on Bradfords...
    -Sean

Treehouser Sponsor chris_girard's Avatar

Just bought a 12' two weeks ago. Love it!

TreeHouser Sponsor

I like the holes in the steps of the Tallman ladders for the grip it might provide.

Here is a link where you can click on a extendable leg feature and hard surface kit.

http://www.stokesladders.com/product...num-tripod.asp