And now I wait

Page

TreeHouser
I got to hang with my neighbor the other day. He’s got a little 5 horse bandsaw mill. We did a few black walnut logs and a couple cherry. Now in a year or two I might be able to use it. 68BFF1DC-5F16-43BA-8107-ACD97336F0BA.jpg D44AC4DD-08EA-4597-B3DD-78E97ED0B5FA.jpg

That walnut looks to be like what we harvested yesterday -- except even less white! Probably not P.C., but this slogan occurred to me (in this particular context seems appropriate):
Black Logs Matter.

hahaha...priceless!!! Good stretch!:lol:

T-shirt fodder!

"If you cut down a black walnut tree
SAVE THE LOG

BLACK LOGS MATTER"

Are you going to sticker-stack and weigh down the stacks?

Did you paint the ends?

What kinda mill? I've been so itching for some kind, but don't want to spend too little and have to upgrade too soon.

I have a chainsaw mill. Way too slow, too rough of finish, fumes, waste of material from the thick kerf and extra planing.

Great for larger pieces, and when you have to cut stuff down for fitting onto a bandsaw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you going to sticker-stack and weigh down the stacks?

Did you paint the ends?

What kinda mill? I've been so itching for some kind, but don't want to spend too little and have to upgrade too soon.
Yes and yes. I just had them standing up to hose them down. Not sure what kind of mill it was, I’ll check next time I’m over there.

Nice wood! You need to spend a year trying to make a kiln, like I have done. I managed to prep some white oak to stack in the kiln, but it took all my strength to just get these to the rack from 15ft away.

20181219_123853.jpg

Is a wood kiln basically a room with a dehumidifier in it or is there a heater as well?

I read somewhere that if you sticker at the very, very end of the board, it reduces end-checking.

Known people to put ratchet straps around the logs, probably right next to a sticker or over well trimmed stickers, to continue tightening the stack as it dries.

The google gods tell me people do all sorts of methods. Straight solar, solar with dehumidifier, only a fan, straight dehumidfier and with extra heat. The only issue with dehumidifier is to make sure the space is sealed tight.

Beautiful!!!

My wife showed me some catalog selling (or trying to, not sure which) whitestained rounds of wood about 22 inches tall for hundreds of dollars each. It struck me as the same stuff I give away by the truckload from dead fir or pine trees sluffing their bark.

One thing that comes to mind for your guys beautiful work is that if you were willing to use a lot of social media and marketing effort I would think it could create a lot of demand and you could take prices up to where they should be more easily. Anyone seeing this stuff pictured is going to tend to want some.

Sean, I have a friend with a bandsaw mill that has a 22 horse kabota, can do 24 logs etc. Think it was $50K 8 years ago. You're not interested in a new model of anything that involved are you?

Nice projects all around. I cut some sugar maple a few weeks ago. My garage and all its content still smell like sap. I figure at least 1 year of that sweet, sweet smell. load.jpg

I'll snap some pics of our Timber King next time we put some black walnut on it. Controls are a bit fritzy and can't afford a new control computer for it right now, but it still works well enough to be productive.

Does anyone have experience with glaze coating? ( epoxy) I’m a little disappointed with how mine turned out. Too many bubbles. I tried heating with a torch and it seemed to work at first but when I looked at it in the morning it was filled with bubbles. I tried sanding and re coating but I was unhappy with that as well.

Back