Unpaid Jobs

It requires some thought and a little bit of “I don’t give a chit”. Other than that it’s all fun and games.

500 seems silly of him to throw away a referral source. Before I told everyone, I'd be sure I wasn't getting paid. Sounds like you might, take it and part ways professionally but I sure wouldn't be giving anymore jobs to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're right Willie, we already finished.

And i dont see this cat paying... why would he? To save face? To keep a tree guy around? Doubting it.

The one time I tried the revenge route, it didn't go well... (think, Alice's Restaurant)

A favorite fantasy is to return the customer's trees to them, dumped in the driveway. Of course this is very likely to result in a visit from your local sheriff's deputy and possibly an unscheduled trip downtown.

I keep reminding myself that revenge is a dish best served cold. That keeps me from acting foolishly for the time being, and hopefully by the time it is cold I'm not quite so bothered by it.

Only have ever had one customer not pay, early on. He claims we didn't do all the work agreed to, but it was very clear on the work order/contract. Multiple phone calls went no where, now he avoids follow up calls. His brother lives at the work location property, he's a trucker and frequently gone so it is hard to find him in person. We have suggested that we would return the chips from the job (or equivalent) to the driveway, but that would just affect his brother, not him personally.

"Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your chips back!"

You're right Willie, we already finished.

And i dont see this cat paying... why would he? To save face? To keep a tree guy around? Doubting it.

To maintain his rep, 500 is chump change in reality, 1 small job. You start telling other guys about it and it will cost him more even that the lost referrals from you.

Chips in the driveway is not that much of a deterrent. Chip haul-off, basic tractor work with a trailer, doesn't compare to the tree work involved.

I like the double your chips back route.

About 5 trucks, pouring into windows and doors, sounds satisfying.

All too often I have people asking me FOR chips.

To maintain his rep, 500 is chump change in reality, 1 small job. You start telling other guys about it and it will cost him more even that the lost referrals from you.

+1

I know a crazy tree guy, folks didn't pay him, he stuck a running garden hose in their front door mail slot when they were on vacay

I heard of a local guy that got arrested for gaffing some tires when the customer cancelled after he showed up with a full crew.

Hmmm, well, that sounds deserved -- the trip to the pokey, that is. I see guys with 2 star and 3 star reviews on Google & Yelp. Then funny thing, they change their business name and start over. Bad reputation is impossible to get past... but they never changed their modus operandi, so rinse & repeat.

A favorite fantasy is to return the customer's trees to them, dumped in the driveway. Of course this is very likely to result in a visit from your local sheriff's deputy and possibly an unscheduled trip downtown.

I keep reminding myself that revenge is a dish best served cold. That keeps me from acting foolishly for the time being, and hopefully by the time it is cold I'm not quite so bothered by it.
Finally I understand that saying!

Bump for @Benjo75

Back