Is a Port-A-Wrap a "must have" if only doing Horizontal Rigging?

rfwoody

Treehouser
It appears the Port-A-Wrap was designed for use in "vertical" rigging -- porty attached low on the trunk to lower pieces from up in the tree.

However there are several pictures and examples here of folks using a Port-A-Wrap for more "horizontal" rigging
-- porty attached to a trailer hitch and used to hold a rope in a more horizontal orientation.

This makes me wonder if a port a wrap would make a good "progress capture" device in a 2:1 or 3:1 tree pulling scenario.

As it stands, the only "progress capture" I do -- if pulling on a rope by hand -- is pull it tight, then walk around the tree a couple of times before tying it off.

Would a port-a-wrap be good for this?

Or is there a more preferred way of maintaining the tension in a pull rope other than walk around the tree and tying it off?

Thanks a lot.

As long as you are not using Dyneema ropes, a well tied knot of the right kind should work fine.

I rarely break out the porty unless we are going BIG.

In which case we use a 22 ton Dyneema rope and a monstrous Porty that I had a professional welder make for me a couple of years ago.

You could hang the USS Nimitz from that thing without bending it.

Needs a strong man to carry it to the work zone, but we have apprentices for that.

I'd buy some instructional videos. You will learn best from a production intended to teach.

A POW is a very useful tool. There might be times where you want to pull something, then slack the line. Lift and Lower.

I had a bunch of spindly maple branches sprawled out right over the roofs of two closely-situated water-front houses (long, narrow lots), growing up tight, with very narrow landing zone.

I simply put a pulley up on the central leader, and a redirect at the base. Rigging rope was tip-tied to lift horizontal and leaning branches up to vertical, by backing the truck up with POW attached to a front anchor on the truck. When we wanted to lower, we unlocked the rope from the POW cleat, and lowered into the hole.

That's sort of like asking if the kid working at the oil change place should buy a Snap On torque wrench.

I don't think you are far enough along to be able to put it to use and there are many other items you will need sooner (if you continue cutting trees). I would say to keep it on your wish list but further down the page.

Just F.Y.I. I still don't own a port-a-wrap to this day. In the rare situation where I need to secure a pull line such as in your question, I just take trunk wraps and tie it off. Easy peasy and no need to drag out another $140 chunk of metal so it can get lost.

I bought a POW 20-some years ago. We've used it maybe half a dozen times. Yes, trunk wraps are a thing and we do use them when needed. I rarely take monster pieces anyway.

BTW, why the condescending laugh?

Piss on your "condescending."

It was funny. Now, gimme some cool words to read.

Unless it's one limb, not using a porty ain't real wise.

Because trunk wraps are just SO old school.

Especially to a man who climbed with a Blake's hitch decades after the rest of us had moved on.

I bought a POW 20-some years ago. We've used it maybe half a dozen times. Yes, trunk wraps are a thing and we do use them when needed. I rarely take monster pieces anyway.
I am pretty much the exact opposite of this sentiment.
We use a porty with a 5:1 fiddle regularly to hang whole trees (smallish ones) but whole ones nonetheless.
One of the reasons to use a porty in the horizontal position is to add more rope into the rigging system, lessening the impact force a little.

Tautline or Blakes......pretty obsolete, both.

Kind of what hand fallers will be soon.

All us oldtimers are going the way of the dinosaurs.

BTW, why the condescending laugh?

The condescending laugh was because it was me. Butch does that shit to me all the time because he doesn't like me. If only you could imagine what that was like.

It's quite true I don't like you - also cool how you felt the need to spell it out. Some TreeHousers might have never known. Be glad I let you back in. :drink:

I will lol at you or anyone who says using wraps is better than a porty, and extra-lol at "losing it."

Brian is right.
You pull that shit every time he or Brett posts something.

You are 62 years old, how about acting it.

Who said "losing it"? Or did you imagine that part? And who said wraps were better than using a porty? I sure didn't. Maybe you imagined that too.

Yeah, as above, especially Flushcut.
Mostly would use Porty as predictable, easily adjustable friction can pre-tighten into if needed with compression jig, or just sweat tight. Also, heatsink for frictions of heavy loading, running load some so not holding all weight, and mostly just keep from accelerating, perhaps letting ground take/snub out last 200-300 of hit.
I think most of friction effect is in how many half circles of force on brake device, more so than distance and texture of friction contact generally. So the easier wraps on Porty make it also a high production tool when really knocking stuff out, that can also take massive loads, be pre-tightened into.
Your concerns are real and show forethought,
Would only use Porty for this if already had.
Trunk wraps are great and enough for this usage, could also go with 1 Turn on a trunk so can slide fairly but buffered, to self tending friction hitch, rat tails best , but not necessary. Let tree trunk buffer sudden loading to friction hitch.
Even Muenter can take initial hit, the trunk Turn after that for some control should be manageable if backing up Maasdam pull, maybe more friction for back up of heavier truck pull.
Playing with power, stay deep in power band at all times, never close to redline on any tool, rating or strategy.
Always some ready pocket to pull something out for more goody, constantly monitoring to catch the slightest problem before escalates. Like being in the wrong bar, always knowing which way to immediately this to if shit goes wrong...

We don't use one. But then again, we have a GRCS available to us.

I keep the old school porty shackled to the back of the bucket truck at all times.. just leave it there unless we need to use it on the skid loader, and very occasionally to the tree with a whoopie sling..

On the other hand my grcs hasn't been out of the garage in a couple years... each to their own..

The Port-A-Wrap was designed to be loaded in any direction. It will follow the load. Great tool for rigging moderate size stuff. Not the best for progress capture except for sweating as Kenny said.

I would not use a porty for what you are asking. If hand pulling, my go-to is a 3:1 with a progress capturing prusik hitch. It is amazing how much power that will produce with just a small amount of effort.

20181130_111237.jpg

This makes for a great progress capture when setting up a zip line. Allows you to pull tight and control tension as needed. Makes for very fluid work. If need can be set up with MA With ease

Back