Tree topping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I deleted it, sorry. Had second thoughts about having to answer a bunch more youtube questions so soon after the topping vid. Too close together.

Here's the same set up from 4 years back. long standing dead snag. Too sketchy to put a saw in for the risk of it sinking down on the bar. They bore in the explosive part way to to create a habitat stump.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iVnK3hwzJIk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg, why not put in on Youtube and make the setting private, then give us the link.

The few videos I've made have been put up that way, I don't have the patience or temper to have my work badmouthed by keyboard loggers.

Yeah i should've done. But to be fair you dont actually see much on it....just the siren, some bullshitting between me the the guys, then the boom from the forest. Its loud, but no clear visual

Its not so much the silly individuals Butch, more the volume. Ive had enough for now.

Hey btw what do you call that beautiful, primeval-looking feathery moss or lichen on those trees you were topping. It screams PNW.

Yes, that's it, thanks.

PNW old growth indeed- "Lichen are very slow growing; they are mostly found on old growth trees within unpolluted habitats. They are very pollution sensitive, so aren’t often found growing significantly in cities. An abundance of lichen is often used as an indicator for sound environmental health of an area."

PNW epiphytes are awesome.

Lobelia, IIRC, on maples, along with moss and ferns.

Big old-firs have lots of lichen, and moss, no ferns.

I transplanted moss from an oak removal to my house's trees and rain garden, like 6" thick. I was filling up a Brute garbage can.

It's funny how I feel at the same time contented and afraid by this amazing job. Hats off.

I can't even think to climb that high, on the spurs moreover.:O
I made a smooth cut too Tuesday. It was an apricot tree, sooo high that I dismantled the crown staying on the ground.:D
Reg's vid was in my mind during the cut and I applied to make it nice. I was pleased (and so humbled) to lay this ridiculously small top.:boogie:

Something I strive to instill in my apprentices.

No reason for sloppy tecnique, just because the tree is small.

Back