Chainsaw 'noise suppressor'

SeanKroll

Treehouser
So it's told that wood poachers (burls, maple for musical instruments, old growth cedar block thieves and such) run a modded muffler that is somehow (presumably flexibly) piped into a bucket of water to deaden and change the noise.

I wonder how this would work on my 661. Would resistance of the water (maybe a couple inches in depth, dunno) affect the performance, due to 'back pressure'?

I'm thinking that if the muffler can be modded to effectively have a bit of pipe to clamp onto while milling, without interfering with normal work, it might suppress milling noise, cheaply, and portably. A small reservoir, easily dumped and refilled, attached to the mill frame would weigh very little, but might be really nice for the miller, and neighbors. Further, the water will filter out some of the exhaust impurities that the miller is exposed to.

What about something like this??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xZIHT3nNesY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was recently trying to get a friend's chinese Husqvarna 365 going, and to keep the noise down I jammed a 6mm socket which really had like a 3mm hole in it into the muffler pipe. It sounded like an Echo saw. It allows you to hear a lot of clicks and pings you otherwise wouldn't.

I think the best way to quiet exhaust would be to have a sound proof tube (maybe thick rubber or thick steel) directing exhaust into a big expansion chamber (to keep performance up) full of sound absorbing material (cellulose fibers, polyester fluff...) with an extremely tiny diameter and long outlet pipe.

Just hold the saw under water when you run it.
I swear, it won't hardly make any noise at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Early on, I almost muffled a 440 and myself. My eyes got wide, but didn't get wet.

I think the best way to quiet exhaust would be to have a sound proof tube (maybe thick rubber or thick steel) directing exhaust into a big expansion chamber (to keep performance up) full of sound absorbing material (cellulose fibers, polyester fluff...) with an extremely tiny diameter and long outlet pipe.
Husqvarna had an accessory called "Skorsten", Chimney is eng word I think. It was a tube from muffler to a pipe you had attached in back of belt so exoust fumes were lead the same direction your farts went as you bend to cut tree. No exoust to inhale. Great in deep snow!

Back