Stihl-fings aint what they were...

Silvadavid.
If you are still here...

I think the brand is not you issue, rather lack of experience, knowledge, good dealer and support..
Regardless of brand a good dealer is priceless.
The good dealers might not have the shiniest store, but I bet you know when you have one!

I get asked alot what are the best saws. My answer is the same as yours Magnus:
Buy from a local dealer, who lives and breathes the equipment they sell. Anything goes wrong you can take it back to the person who sold it to you.

As for the different brands, yes, some are what we in the field would call junk.
Stihl? Husky? Think chevy/ ford. The debate never ends

I'm surprised I don't see more echos around. That 5 year warranty is hard to ignore. I'm very interested in the 2511T that's around 6 pounds counting fuel, oil, B&C.

Out of curiosity what does the warranty cover?

A topper like that used daily in pro work is unlikely not to let go in a 5 year period.

Not sure of details about what's covered, but the 5 years is for a homeowner. Commercial use is 1 year warranty.

For the homeowner warranty, I suspect they’re counting on people losing the receipt, or some kind of caveat about fuel.

A huge amount of homeowner saws sit in sheds till the petrol ruins the carbs etc. Difficult to see them paying for carb rebuild after carb rebuild.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Not sure of details about what's covered, but the 5 years is for a homeowner. Commercial use is 1 year warranty.

I ONLY ever see the 1 year advertised with the 2511t because it is advertised commercial only. I guess it's too small and light for a home owner?

Echos are light weight and low cost, and usually have a lot of room for power improvement with modifications, but you almost have to build a custom muffler due to the giant cat sitting in the way of any mods.

echo warranty.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not totally impressed with most presige brands offer re:warranty.Stihl/makita/Honda give you 2 years as a homeowner,which is fair.Commercially,you get 3 months,which I regard as taking the piss t.b h,for example-you might buy your chainsaws/blowers in high summer to get the best dealer price.On the other hand,you might buy your mower/hedgetrimmer stock in deep midwinter time.By the time you give your new machines a good going over,its 'sorry sir,your 3 month warranty is over now'.Not a great demonstration of dealer confidence in their products in my opinion.

If you have a Stihl that needs a warranty job inside 3 months, you either haven't purchased the right grade saw for your work, or you've bashed the shit out of it.

You've heard the term, nothing is free? That is part of tool choice and design also. I have been using the same 150 for almost 2 years on a daily basis and it is still going strong. I have also dropped one out of a tree and it broke the case, not a surprise. My point here is that the 150 is a very small, lightweight saw that has limits that larger and heavier saws do not. I try and use it with that in mind and have not been disappointed

There are stores that sell saws and Dealers.
Dealer show you what you need based on the info you provide and experience he has. A good dealer will not sell you stuff he think is wrong.
The store takes your money and await you return with more.

The 150 is a sweet saw. I like light. But it has proven a bit fragile. I'm on my second in 4 years. Both saws have trouble where the pull cord attaches to the crank. There are only like two screws that hold it on and they get sheared off and no cheaply replaceable options. But... As Seen in a bike shop. "Lightweight, durable, cheap; pick two" Im just looking that this little makita might be some competition for the 150. I have the makita battery top handle. It is sooo light. But no power... More competition to my silky than a chainsaw. The carving bar and chain on the stihl 150 and the battery line up really makes them shine. I have the stihl 200 battery saw and its a winner. Rear handled though so a little bulky in the tree, it is real competition to my smaller gas saws though as far as what it can cut. Great ground saw for sizing big limbs down to fit in tight landing zones. No pull cord is pretty awesome. I did not like the husky battery top handled. Heavier than the 201!

That is interesting, Kevin. Thankfully, I have not had any issue with the starter cord attachment.

Go get a 2511 Kevin.
I also have a 150. It is still going strong. But I bet I have tired it out some after two or so years.
2511 has become my go to, 150 I'll alternate in.
Prunes, the 150 still shines.

Seems like a good saw. Half a pound lighter than the 150. I wonder if I can get the 150 bar and chain to work on the echo. I looked everywhere and that makita saw which is even lighter than the echo is not available in the us. Which is why the echo advertises "lightest gas saw avaliable in the us." My 150 is still going but its not long for this world I fear.

If you have a Stihl that needs a warranty job inside 3 months, you either haven't purchased the right grade saw for your work, or you've bashed the shit out of it.

We had a 150 come with the oiler not working, the next one had a loose bar stud, but I put thread lock in it. Might not be much of a warranty issue, but it's a pain to remove the bar & chain when the stud backs out with the bar still clamped tightly on it.

Makita is 5.5lbs and 1HP Not available in the USA
Echo 2511t is 5.25lbs and 1.5hp
MS150 is like 5.6lbs and 1.35hp

Back