Stihl-fings aint what they were...

Hard to justify $500+ for the MS150 for as quickly as they wear out and die. I've bought 6, still using 3 and not buying any more. Which sucks because I do need a lighter saw than the 200T because of my shoulders. Still running five MS200T saws that I bought the last year or so they were available, probably close to 10 years old now.

I've had oiler issues and loose bar studs on most of my MS150 saws, along with kill switch issues. Every time I buy one, same issues over and over again.

That's exactly how I'm feeling about the 150. When it goes ill be looking hard at that echo. I thought you were a small operation, Brian. What do you do with 6 150 s at a time?

he has three 150s.. on top of 5 200s. thats a lot of saws to keep track of. unless you have 2 or three crews me thinks. I personally didn't find a difference transferring from the 200 to the 201... but my memory isn't that sharp and taste not too refined.

I keep two 200T's on each bucket truck and one is kept on the chip truck for Ron to use as his ground saw. I have one MS150 on the big bucket truck and two on the small bucket truck (I do more trimming in the small truck). I don't like having to run around in the mornings figuring out which saws I need, every truck is fully stocked.

I've never owned a 201T. I've used a couple belonging to other guys once in a while when on a job with them and they are noticeably heavier than my 200T. They also are not as strong. Easy to see the difference when using them side by side. I hope to never buy a 201T ever.

I bought one last week as one of our re-re-re-resurrected T200s finally gave up the Ghost.

You must have better weight sensitivity than I , cause I really can't tell that it is heavier.

We've used it on a very large oak , reducing it to a habitat stump and on two large Beeches, doing the same thing, but with lowering over obstacles.

The T200 seems to cut quicker, but the T201 has more low RPM power.

Just my take on it.

I also love my T150, and haven't had any issues with it.

Agreed, the 201 has better power through the whole rev band, and the TC improves on that even more.

Super reliable as well.

Before I ever fire them up. When I got my first one about 5-6 years ago I was on my first job with it. My first cut was a 4" limb and it wouldn't power through it, kept wimping out. I came down and opened up the muffler right then with a scrench. Five minutes later I was cutting 8"-10" limbs no problem. Muffler mods are a basic requirement on any new piece of equipment no matter the brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes,I,ve got one,and its not hugely powered t.b.h.,its got a clever carb,the saw chain wont run at all when idling.Its a bit unwilling to fast run the chain when cold.Also the actual machine head is quite big to get into congested areas if you understand me.I'm now doing much more with the newish makita 18v duc254-thats a much slimmer build/equally light,with roughly the same power.Safer up high in that as soon as you release the throttle,you need to press a button conveniently placed to regain power.Its got a nice chain speed,and also a turbo button for knotty/harder wood.Also bought as a bare tool-its a decent price-about £140 here in the u.k.

The early 201t sucked and turned people off of them. Everything I read about the newer 201tc with mtronic are good reviews, and with a very simple muffler mod and simple timing advance they'll keep up with your old 200t.

Interesting thing you mention a turbo button on an electric saw. I've always wondered about how they setup electrics since they have an ability to output short term peaks of power OR long term lesser amounts according to the temperature of the power system.

Seems like a good saw. Half a pound lighter than the 150. I wonder if I can get the 150 bar and chain to work on the echo. I looked everywhere and that makita saw which is even lighter than the echo is not available in the us. Which is why the echo advertises "lightest gas saw avaliable in the us." My 150 is still going but its not long for this world I fear.

Kevin, cutforfun has the part numbers for the 1/4 pitch chain and bar for the 2511. I think he posted them in the 2511 thread. I am still running the stock bar and chain 3/8 050 on mine. It was a tad grabby new, but I just don't take the rakers down as far. I will eventually buy the 1/4 pitch set up once my 150 gives up. Then have one set up each way.

Thank you! Has anyone run the 1/4 inch chain on a 201 or 200? It seems to me that would be really pretty fun.

The 1/4 pitch chain is a finesse tool. It works with the lower powered MS150 but I think it would not hold up to the power of a 200T. And the teeth are so small you can only sharpen it about 8-10 times and the teeth are gone.

I wonder, it would be nice to finess with that kind of power. I love making face cuts with both the 150 and the 14 inch 200 battery saw. But I think that I love working with that bar and chain more than any particular feelings about the saws.

Really? Interesting. I figured 1/4 would hold up. The teeth are so small you might just get away with no depth gauges.

I know Once I use up all my .050 stuff, which could be a while, for my 2188, I'll switch to .063 because the power stretches .050 chain way too easily.

Loggerchain.com has the 1/4 B/C combo in 12" I think, BUT they don't have the 1/4 sprocket, just the 3/8. Kinda weird that the 1/4 2511t is only on the international Echo website.

Hmmm, makes me wonder if there was a run of 150's with those particular issues, oilers and bar nuts?
I got the first 150t in Tasmania, 4 years ago...still going strong, I did have to blow out the oil tank breather once...well after three months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reading the handbook (shock horror for me!),it emphasises you can only do that if the battery is decently powered up,say at 70%?And also only do that a limited amount of times,I guess its a big hit on the battery.Nice idea, but the little saw does ok on 5 ah batteries, I'm guessing in an ideal world you'd like to go out with 6ahx3,which all of a sudden makes it a pricey little pruner,still nice to use tho.

Back