What First-Aid Supplied do you take on the Job?

Instead of buying just one, it may be more economical to buy them by the dozen since they will undoubtedly get torn up and ruined during the course of work if you actually climb with them every day. Ask Pete McTree how often his gets replaced? Even the toughest pouch will get torn up and compromised hanging on the back of a tree climber's belt.

First Aid kit is in the truck. Crazy Glue is one additional for minor (Silky) cuts. Plus ibuprofen and antacid for personnel relief. We don't work alone, except me with the stump grinder at times. I don't intend to pull a Tree Machine on that front!

Full pack of basics per National Ski Patrol ( was a donation from the ski area ) have another one in the house. Though we have used them once in a great while I personally don't ever bring anything from them up in the Tree. I try to work the safest way possible and God forbid anything does go wrong in any way I feel it's much more important to have a safe but rapid descent to the ground available , one handed if necessary.

I carry just a basic kit with a few add'ins in each truck.
IMO it's knowing how to "use" FirstAid is more important than whats just bought and carried. I am not saying don't carry anything but know how to use what you have on hand can be the difference.

I have one of those yellow PVC first aid pouches from wesspur on my harness. It's been there for three years (had homemade stuff before) and it's holding up just fine, nothing else ever lasted.
The most commonly used item are fabric Band-Aids for silky pings or bad scratches, I carry a range of sizes from small normal ones to bigger ones.
I have an Israeli bandage in it as well, and I have had training in its use...I almost had to use it when I gave myself a pretty bad silky cut on the back of my wrist, but I got things under control with my shirt cuff and a large band aid. I would never climb without some kind of first aid kit on my harness. I had to come down for that one, needed stitches.
Sometimes just having a good sticky fabric band aid is enough to patch things up and keep working without coming down for those silky pings that bleed like buggery but aren't really that bad.

The mantra we learned for trauma first responder for tourniquets is 'high, wide and Tight' high on the arm or leg, at least 2" wide, and tight, yes it will hurt tight. For massive haemorrage, like Jim said, if pressure won't stop it (like kneeling on it pressure) then a tourniquet it the way to go and SOON...just write the time of application somewhere obvious.

There's a spot on the CATs for writing the time. Should probably put a pencil in the pouch too.
Still protocol to not take the tourniquet off? I was always told never take it off, that's the doctor's job.

Was hoping NoBivy would chime in here. Suction is a lifesaver, especially for face trauma and delivering babies :) can get some usable suction with a bulb syringe or a 2oz/ 60cc syringe.

His throat would have been pretty parched after chewing through those saw pants, so a beer would have been in order.

Daniel, I have no patience with and no compassion for fools.

An important compliment is know where both running water and a fire extinguisher are located.

Water for washing, including drinking water quality for eye washing. Gas or other spill on a person should be quickly washed off.

I keep instant ice packs, too.

MSHA requires us to carry a first aid kit but hardly ever sees action. Most of us tho carry a snake bite kit, two coolers, one for the beer and one with a snake in it. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just finished re-reading all posts for 3rd time.

Here is my summary for your consideration and feedback please!

===============================
In order of "escalation":

1. Prevention
2. Band-aids/super glue/aspirin, etc.
3. Compression bandage (e.g. Israeli Bandage ... Jonny's no doubt informed/experienced criticism notwithstanding --- why are they junk Jonny? thx)
4. Celox impregnated bandages <<<=== Jim is this an accurate distillation of what you said?
5. Cat tourniquet (applied "high, wide, and tight")

-- AND KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO USE THEM!

==> and If in a tree -- have a safe, rapid method of descent to ground with one hand

===============================

Also:

* running water (if available(?)) ... bottled water?
* fire extinguisher.
* durable method of taking first aid into the tree on your saddle
* instant ice packs

Thanks all.

Have I missed, confused, or misrepresented anything?

Also, re-asking Jonny's question ............. should a tourniquet only be removed by a trained medical person?

A small kit for the tree is a good idea. But a fully stocked more extensive kit for the truck should be on hand at all times too. Here the kits are by levels and the requirements vary based on the industry.

This is a decent kit. https://shopsafetyproducts.ca/descr...MIjtDvlYOb3wIViaDsCh0Y4gGWEAQYASABEgIMh_D_BwE

I'm taking my level 3 OFA in January. Two weeks of pretty intensive instruction. Really looking forward to it.

There's a spot on the CATs for writing the time. Should probably put a pencil in the pouch too.
Still protocol to not take the tourniquet off? I was always told never take it off, that's the doctor's job.

Was hoping NoBivy would chime in here. Suction is a lifesaver, especially for face trauma and delivering babies :) can get some usable suction with a bulb syringe or a 2oz/ 60cc syringe.

there is a "stop the bleed" campaign that I think will give you a free tourniquet. I think it was started around mass shootings. It would be better to lose a limb then bleed out. So yes.....never heard the doctor thing before though

https://stopthebleed.usuhs.edu/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Bob. I need to investigate a snake bite kit..... but for some reason I thought those Boy Scout snake bite kits from yesteryear (i.e. the capsule thing that opens up and has a suction cup in it(?)) --- were obsolete(?)..... that they have a new better way of handling poisonous snake bites..... need to investigate.

Wow Squisher, a 2 week course it appears. That looks like it ought to be really comprehensive for a layman type course, right?

Thanks a lot No_Bivy.... checking out the website now.

.... but also .... I was hoping I could get a wrap-up feedback from folks about my summary/understanding that I posted, above......

on post #67 https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?21283-What-First-Aid-Supplied-do-you-take-on-the-Job&p=935575&viewfull=1#post935575
thanks!

snake bite kits are obsolete

get to ER. Compression bandage above. keep heart rate low.

Back