What First-Aid Supplied do you take on the Job?

Another tourniquet.

I really dont mean to make the use of a tourniquet sound like a last ditch anything.

It should be used early and often....if you have one.

You will not cause the flesh to die with a commercial tourniquet if used properly.

You will cause tissue damage and death with an improvised tourniquet. There is your last ditch.

I had to go read up a bit. QuickClot has changed since I last used it and I guess it doesn't cause burns like it used to.

You will not cause the flesh to die with a commercial tourniquet if used properly.
You will cause tissue damage and death with an improvised tourniquet.
Jim, what makes the difference?
If you have to squeeze, you squeeze, no ?

Marc-Antoine, the main difference is that the squeezing force is applied in a more spread out manner with a commercial tourniquet.

The difference would kind of be like twisting a rope around your arm or twisting a wire.

With a commercial tourniquet, you have instruction on how many turns of the windlass is needed to be safe and effective. It really does not take near as much pressure to stop blood loss as many people would think.

A poorly designed or makeshift tourniquet WILL need more pressure to effectively cut off blood flow than is needed with a commercial unit.

Having said that.....if all you have is a leather belt and a stick....use it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another tourniquet.

I really dont mean to make the use of a tourniquet sound like a last ditch anything.

It should be used early and often....if you have one.

You will cause tissue damage and death with an improvised tourniquet. There is your last ditch.

Thanks a lot, Jim. ..... that has been my fear with a tourniquet.

Did someone mention the CAT tourniquet?

Hoping you will reply to Marc's question about the commercial vs. improvised tourniquet...

THANKS JIM.... just saw your answer in the post above this...

Just get a few guys to pick him up and use the chipper muffler exhaust.

Yeah, good idea about cauterizing in an emergency if that turns out to be a valid method.

I had to go read up a bit. QuickClot has changed since I last used it and I guess it doesn't cause burns like it used to.

Thanks a lot Jonny..... what about the QuickClot Z-fold bandages .... it seems I saw online they were the state-of-the-art for clotting?

Jim?

Jim, what makes the difference?
If you have to squeeze, you squeeze, no ?

Yes... what is the difference between commercial vs. improvised tournequet?

The absolute best thing is Prevention.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Quick clot is good stuff....there are a few other makers out there too that make good stuff as well.

The current products have been deemed safe and effective enough to be carried and used buy ambulance and fire service crews by their medical control.

Having said that, we dont carry it on our ambulances or fire apparatus. Generally it is seen as too expensive, especially with trained people who should DAMN well understand direct pressure or how to make a pressure bandage.

For the lay person? I would say they would be a good choice. Technology helping to bridge the gap of experience and training.

NOT a silver bullet though.....like is so often reported.

I carry a CAT tourniquet & an Israeli bandage on my harness in a purpose made bag (I'll get a pic tomorrow ).We are required to carry the bandage & the CAT seemed a common sense addition. I do carry quick clot gauze in my main first aid kit, but that is in the truck.
I have had training albeit rudimentary in using what I carry, which in the UK is becoming pretty standard these days.

Thanks Jim..... what about the QuickClot Z-Fold bandages in particular... for the layperson?

Thanks Pete.... looking forward to the picture!

Jim, so you use the granuals on the job?

.... and they are relatively safe, easy to use, for an inexperienced layman.... "in a pinch"?

I have some "combat" dressings but no granuals. I keep some of that stuff for my personal use, but we dont use it on the ambulance.

I have never had to use one in anger, but we were trained with most of them.

If it were me, I would stick to the dressings. Read the directions and you will be fine.

Just remember, they are not a magic bullet. I would not expect them to stop a femoral bleed with the artery pulled back into the meat.

Not with out lots of pressure at least.

As far as I know the gauze has superseded the granular cellox. This was apparently due to multiple incidences of people getting it in there eyes on windy days & becoming casualties themselves ( source is an ex military medic)

Yea that shit blows all over. Saw a dumb ole jarhead put some on a shaving cut. Used it on a dog that got caught up in some concertina wire too.

Pics of how I carry my Kit on my harness. I have a similar bag with identical content on my forestry belt.
After having an arterial laceration at work, I carry what I think will give me the best chance to help myself or others. Some people do not carry anything personally, but think of this, if you cut yourself, do you want someone running towards you to help, or, the opposite direction towards the trucka 100m away?

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 31
Back