What First-Aid Supplied do you take on the Job?

rfwoody

Treehouser
What kind of First-Aid supplies or kits do you take on the job with you?

....and do you take into the tree with you?

Do you have blood clotting agents? ........e.g. for arterial bleeding...... if so, which kind is best?

thanks for looking at this and responding!

I've never taken anything into a tree with me unless I was planning on using it to do my job. Some people claim you can never be too prepared, I disagree. Unless you are the type that injures yourself on a weekly basis I think the first aid stuff is just fine being stored safe and dry in the truck. Carrying that stuff into the tree means that every couple weeks you have to throw it away and replace it because it got damaged, dirty or sweat soaked.

Regardless of what gets stocked in a first aid kit, the only stuff I've ever actually used was large bandages (have to buy them separately because the ones in most kits are too small), tape (I prefer athletic tape because it doesn't leave glue residue when removed) and antihistamines for bee stings. An eyewash cup is handy as well. Pretty much anything else is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime use item unless you are severely accident prone. And if it doesn't get used in 1-2 years you will probably still need to replace it because heat and moisture will wreck packaging.

And since my posts seem to offend so many around here, I'll go ahead and apologize in advance just in case I've said something wrong. I'm sorry. #-o

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
haha, thanks a lot, Brian!
that is the kind of detailed, contextual info I was hoping some might respond with!

I never carried anything in the tree... it was hard enough just packing my smokes!

Attachments

• smoke 'em 004.jpg
    smoke 'em 004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 54
I'm with Brian on this.

We are requred by law to have a large first aid kit in the trucks.

I can't remember ever using anything from it.

We replace them when the warranty runs out, but it seems like a waste of money.

On the other hand, we are , as fallers, required to have a compress bandage on us when we work.
I know several fallers who have put that to good use.

There are some good bandages out there, the Israeli Bandage comes to mind, as well as Quick Clot impregnated gauze, but if you cant physically gain control of the artery they may not do you much good.

With the impregnated gauze you can pack it into the wound and hopefully stop the blood flow, dont use regular gauze for packing a wound.

You can make a pressure bandage/dressing with some 4x4s and a triangle bandage.

If that does not work, a clamp like the IT clamp will work to compartmentalize the blood loss.

We used to mess around with dressings and such for a long time. Things like stacking dressings if the blood was soaking through.

Now a days we mess around very little. If a couple attempts at stopping the blood flow are unsuccessful, use a tourniquet.

Stig, are you talking about the "Israeli Bandage" type compression bandage?

What about blood clotting agents?

Thanks a lot, Jim!

.... saw your post after posting mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've no idea what the Israeli type stopping bandage is.

I've never pulled the one we have to wear apart, so I don't know how it works.

My take on it is, if somebody is stupid enough to cut themself, they should just be left to bleed out.

Jim, it looks like the IT clamp would take some training maybe....?

So a tourniquet is the best last line of defense against death from arterial bleeding?

thanks!

I carry a CAT tourniquet on my saddle.
Israeli bandages are junk. Quick Clot causes necrosis and chemical burns. It's a lifesaver for sure but don't use it for anything but arterial bleeding that can't be controlled with pressure.

Pressure first, everytime. Even if it's just with a bare hand.

The IT clamp is not near as hard to use as you might think.

They work really, really well on an arterial bleed that the artery has pulled back into the muscle and cant be manipulated. The compartment is eventually filled with blood...and not a lot...and being a sealed vessel, the pressures equalize and no more blood is lost. A massive clot can then be formed.

The thing about tourniquets is that they should not really be seen as a last ditch attempt. They should be at the very latest a "second" ditch attempt! If you have one of course.

A tourniquet is much easier for the lay person to save a life with than the various dressings, or if direct pressure with a finger is not attempted or successful.

Haha! Jonny has a good bead on things too!

I'd recommend any chainsaw operator whether logger, arborist, or Joe Homeowner to keep a CAT tourniquet. They're cheap on Amazon and can probably be found at a drug store.
They don't need to be sterile, so take it out of the package and play with it. You should be able to put it on your own thigh one handed.

Mick, that was sort of meant as a " carry all the safety crap you want, it is not going to matter if you are too stupid to do the job right"

Guess that didn't quite come across.

That said, I've seen or heard of fallers who were better left to bleed out.

This local guy who is named Olsen is a good example.

He works alone, for VERY low prices.

That caused me to name him " Polish Olsen" about 10 years ago when he underbid me on a falling contract by about 50%.

He has been known by that moniker ever since.

Anyway, the genius goes logging alone since nobody else will work for that sort of money.

Forgets his cell phone in the truck and eventually drops a huge top on his left foot, crushing just about every bone in his lower leg and pinning him down.

He later told me that if he hadn't eventually been able to hook his saw with a branch, pulling it within reach and cutting himself free, he would have been stuck forever, since nobody, including his wife, knew where he was.

Still had to drag himself about a mile to his truck and phone, so he could call for help.

If he hadn't been able to hook the saw, his only option would have been to chew his leg off, like a weasel caught in a trap.

Pretty hard to do when wearing saw pants.

Honestly, something like that leaves me completely cold.
No compassion at all.
Let the stupid fucker bleed to death, I say.

haha, thanks Jonny and Jim!

Jim... if tourniquet is 2nd to last ditch effort.... what is last ditch effort?

ha, yeah!
...I have sewn up a cut on myself, Rambo style :)
(just a small one on my thumb as I recall)

Back