Is this Tree Safe to Fall -- Away from the Power Lines?

That did cross my mind. I have had throw bags ricochet and that could certainly happen into those power lines. Good call, Sean.

FTR, electricity won't conduct on a modern throw line, only unless it's filthy with conductive oil or some such contaminent. Untie the throwbag and pull it off.

No shit.

Exactly. It was when he pulled on the throw line, not knowing he had shot through the tree over the lines, drawing the two primary lines closer together that caused the spark. Not the throw line

I've heard of people throwing sticks/ rake at the throwline to pull it free, without having to touch it.

You may have noticed, I work in the rain a lot. I don't know if pitch or dirt will add conductivity.

I don't see that much lean, willie.
As thin and flexible as that tree is, I'd say that a pulling line placed high and pulled tight by hand with a 3 to 1 and tied off, would bend it forwards enough that it would fall when cut.
How I would do it, anyway.

But you are right about not working around power lines untill you have experience.

I agree with the basics there... I ALWAYS go for a high pull line, even when pulling with a machine, and for sure if you are pulling by hand w/ MA. I'd like to see a line in the crotches some 10+ feet over the nest...

With a line set that high and a good amount of pretension, you will definitely see the tree bend and with experience can know for sure that you have enough pull to get the tree over back against the lean... And as Stig points out, sometimes there is enough bend in the tree to make it a front leaner, in which case you can just leave the line as a static pretensioned line and don't need to pull during the cut. This would be optimal if you are working by yourself, and from the look of this tree, very doable.. I particularly like to work with 1/2" true blue, because it will have some stretch, between the stretch of the line and the loaded spring of the bending top, you'll get a lot of travel out of a low mass tree like that... again a high pull line is very helpful, as you won't get much travel out of the bend in the tree with alower line (even 10' lower).. Key in critical situations (not so much here) is to watch how much movement you get out of the tree when the line is loaded.. If you can't watch when the line is getting pulled, do a careful look at before and after..

However that doesn't answer the question "is it safe?" Can you set a high pull line??? If not get a slingshot, and if you are worried about overshooting and getting tangles in the wires, just shoot from the back side.. Secondly can you reliably cut a good hinge? One tree doesn't make it so. I feel better about your skills , but it's your call... It's a risk vs reward thing... Did you have to pay for those last wires and transformer???? How much are you getting for the tree? Is that a busy road?, can you have someone stop traffic ? Lots of factors to consider.. Hurting or killing someone (including yourself) is just not worth the risk .. so please be careful.. Property on the other hand is mostly replaceable..

ps... stump shot is also a consideration... you don't want the back cut below the notch, but not much over it either... 1/2"-1" at most..

keep us posted???

here a couple links to tree falls where pull lines were crucial:

First one has a heavy back clean, about 2" from the primaries

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AKpMFj5meGc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second one talks about the importance of pre-tensioning the pull line(s)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-DHJHsyANJM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert, I agree with Willie on this one. The last time you worked near power lines you "helped your friend by ripping down the wires". I think you need to practice much more, before you take on trees near targets again. Your cuts are improving, but an old timer told me this saying about treework- "once a hero, always an asshole". Which I took as meaning if you do this tree or take any risk, people will remember if went well for a while, but if you damage their property or rip down the wires, your that guy for the rest of your life.
Good luck- Shawn

I've heard of people throwing sticks/ rake at the throwline to pull it free, without having to touch it.

You may have noticed, I work in the rain a lot. I don't know if pitch or dirt will add conductivity.

Both these comments are scary. The blind leading the blind.

He is right, though.

I think you are all thinking too much about Benjamin Franklin and the kite.

He had a conductive wire attached to that kite.

Throwlines aren't conductive.

Just give me one example of somebody who has experienced an electrical shock by hitting live wires with a throw line.

Just one.

Working alone was part of what went wrong last time. That tree can definitely be pulled over, but even a skilled feller is gonna have trouble pulling it while cutting it and keeping out of the line of fire. I'd highly suggest another person be there to crank on the maasdam while you're cutting.

I'll second that.
Should that not be "Third that"?

My throwline went over some wires once, I pulled it off, I'm still here. Not that I'd ever like to do that again though.

Shit, Fiona.
I have a dozen smart remarks on the tip of my tounge right now.

I'll stick with this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avg_12XFlBI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Certain things can handle underkill.

Brian, please post a video of you holding a wet, pitchy, throw line over the primaries, in the rain.

How many times have I been shocked by primaries, once, a very brief fraction of a second.

Enough for a lifetime.

No hands Stan lives 4 miles does the road. Lost more than his hands. Watch how his life, wife, family, and liver turned to shit, and you might be overcautious. His was very different circumstances.

My semester volunteering in the Rehearsal Ward makes me stay the F away from a TBI-potential situations.

Also, I've never put a throw line over primaries.Rookie move.

He is right, though.

I think you are all thinking too much about Benjamin Franklin and the kite.

He had a conductive wire attached to that kite.

Throwlines aren't conductive.

Just give me one example of somebody who has experienced an electrical shock by hitting live wires with a throw line.

Just one.

Insulated booms don't conduct, but dirt and pitch seems to.
Do line trimmers clean their booms?

I was told our boom was to be clean and waxed for testing. We didn't use it for power line triming, so I don't know details. I was told it would, from my boss who had ehap training.

Feels funny using a ladder to reach parts of the boom for cleaning. Usually, it's using the boom, for things others might use ladders to do.

P. S.

MAD is the Minimum Approach Distance. No part of the tree should be within 10' of the line, I'm guessing. You're tree is within the MAD. The power company may come cut it out of the MAD, free, giving you a little cushion.

Do you understand that electricity arcs? Doesn't need direct contact.

How much side-lean?

No part of the Pecan problem was from it being a solo show. Entirely bad cutting and pulling.

I've done my tallest dismantled removal, solo, 160' dead grand-fir. Shed, fence, driveway nearby. EZPZ. A lot of tree work is just work.

This tree is an easy one-man tree for an experienced cutter. I wouldn't think twice.

Doesn't look 70' to me, but maybe. Pictures are often deceptive.

I would throw a line in it, tension the line, cut the tree. I have been where a person didn't tie a correct knot on the pulling end. After enough tension the knot came untied, sprang back towards the tree, went past the tree and layed across a service drop. No problem but it could have been worse had it been a live, un insulated wire. Wasn't on my jobsite.

Back