Is this Tree Safe to Fall -- Away from the Power Lines?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks ALL for ALL comments, advice, warnings, experiences!

Marc, Gary .... if I did use multiple ropes the to on the sides would just be as a failsafe... just tension and hold in place. The front rope would be the real pulling rope.

Willie, Stig, Mick, Butch, Steve, CurSedVoyce, Altissimus - yeah, The Pecan tree was "just" the (220?) service line to the house.... I'm assuming these are much higher voltage?

Jonny -- no, definitely not alone. My friend whose property it is is a very capable guy and used to rigging and has lots of practical experience with physics forces... he would be pulling (e.g. from a truck).

Don't put the throw line into the power lines!

Find that rattle-can, yet? It would spruce up you pics for your Gallery.

ha, Sean, yeah I bought the white rattle can AND some spray rust primer a few months ago... and it is still sitting on a table in my shop.... yeah..lazy........
(also FWIW.... I got a magnetic sign from VistaPrint... i've used it on my car but i'm going to have to improvise somehow on my truck because not enough flat area.)

I would plan to use my big shot (after practicing)... from behind the tree ... to put the throw line over that crotch below the bird's nest.

Also.... didn't think about electricity arcing.... but if all goes well, the tree will never get closer than it already is to the power lines.

========

*** Also, about the conductivity of the throw line.... I would plan to use my saw or pruner pole to retrieve anything touching the power line.... (even though these poles are not rated as an insulator)

========

Murphy -- thanks a lot for the detailed response..... my plan would be to pretension the pull line -- back and forth (sort of per Mr. Bernham in another thread) -- to get a good sense of exactly what it was doing to the tree.... and then leave it tensioned with the tree being pulled slightly forward --- i.e. not enough to cause extreme forward lean tension (if that would even be possible)...................... planning on watching those 2 videos as soon as I catch up with the comments. Thanks!

Butch -- hadn't thought about tightening the line AFTER I cut the underbed (face cut?) ..... will do. Thanks!

Shawn -- ha, yeah, that is a bummer.... but at this point my reputation has nowhere to go but up :) ... more or less.... .... i mean it isn't funny but what's done is done -- they did get a new power pole out of it (the one I brought down was a dilapidated, broken, leaning piece of junk they had been wanting to get replaced).... and he had already needed to get the electrical feed on his roof and to the meter/panel reworked to be able to handle additional circuits.....
.... so no damage was done to his house that I needed to pay for....
.....AND...... still no bill from the electric company.

FWIW..... I did give them a $25 gift card to a favorite restaurant of theirs.

Brian, Bermy -- I would use my saw or trimmer pole to handle anything touching those primary lines.... even though the poles are not rated as non-conductive.... since they are fiberglass.... if they are dry and clean... that should be fine... right?

Jonny, Mick, Stig -- thinking about pulling with a truck... maybe with a simple 2:1 MA of some kind.

Sean, good point about the MAD distance.... I think he has called the power company before but they weren't responsive..... I'll check into this.
.... well the 70' is just an eyeball estimate ... standing the height of the tree away and then pacing/counting the steps to get to the base...I should have at least used the "stick trick"... but as I recall it was at the end of the day and I had just about enough energy to get home, as it were.

Ben -- yeah, sounds good.

========

This part of the job is on hold for now..... got paid for half the job with plans to start back after 1st of year.

.... also got some good experience on way underbidding a vague, sprawling, not clearly defined job for a friend!
but he's a good guy and he gave me more than we had initially agreed on.

Thanks for all the food for thought!

Noooo....I wouldn't cut ANYTHING that is actually touching a power line!! Shit no.
You can't see if there is any chafe on the branch where a wire might be touching sapwood, then when you go to cut down below...BANG.i wouldn't trust anything, fibreglass or not
My one semi serious dance with electricity (thanks Stig for electric ladyland :lol:) I was holding a small branch I had just cut, as it fell past the power the tips brushed the lines and I got a good tingle halfway down my forearms for a second or two...them they ached for another half hour. That is the ONLY time I ever want to have any electric experience.
Anything within 10'...sorry, call the power line clearance contractors.

Line drops are free here. The utility guys are easy to work with and were real respectful when they got to see my drop a top on my MS650, trying to rush the job so they could put the wires back up. They didn't even smirk....at least I couldn't see a smirk from 50 feet up.

Top drop was great...target clearance from drop zone....zero.

My first time getting a line drop was intimidating...didn't want to have to go thru the process. It gets easier...when in doubt just do it.

Clearing hi-lines I got the arm tingle maybe a dozen times and been zapped GOOD 2 or 3. Funny how we had zero training!

I got zapped by a primary in 2007. It was horrible.
Weeping willow removal, I was spurring up to set ropes and I used my handsaw to cut a 1/2" sucker out of my way. I didn't notice the end layed across the wire. I figured it had caught in some other growth so I grabbed it w my left hand and boom. I couldn't let go of the stick. I made my right arm move so I could hit my left arm and break the contact. It was incredibly hard to make my arm move at the time, and next day the muscles were incredibly sore. If I had to guess, I was probably energized for around 5 seconds.

I came out of the tree around 830 am and called the boss to take me back to the shop so I could go home. I really felt the need to go be with my family. Few weeks later I worked the ground for the other climber to take it down. He gave me a chance to show the tree who's boss, but I was still pretty freaked out. Power company came and put boots on the wires in between. Should've requested that the first time.

Was EHAP certified recently before that too. Wasn't too concerned about a tiny lil sucker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the videos Murphy.
It is helpful listening to your thought process as you analyze the situation.

wow. That is an incredible account, Jonny.
The whole thing. visceral and powerfully moving. (npi) (No Pun Intended)
this scares me more than anything else so far in this thread.

Butch --- I hope I never feel anything close to any of that that around a tree.

Bermy, Gary -- thanks....... also, per Sean, I'll talk to my friend about calling the power company.

Back