What Kind of Tree is This?

rfwoody

Treehouser
Does anyone know off hand what kind of tree this is?

The bark looks very distinctive, but maybe its just an aberration for something else.

Thanks!

20181205_113743.jpg

what_kind_of_tree_is_this_resized_20181205_113731.jpg

There is a tree ID thread... is that a conifer? My guess is white pine (probably Western white pine, since you're in the Mississippi valley).

It does look like a type of pine or spruce, but that would be too easy, that's why I said elm. I THINK there are 2 kinds of elm that grow around here. One is red elm and the other Ive always just heard called wingwood elm. The wingwood variety is what that looks like but that's just a WAG on my part.

Don't forget Siberian Elm, I learned that one when I saw Elm leaves and yellow wood. I guess they are a weed around here, though I rarely notice them. I wonder how they got here.

Definitely Ulmus or LM as some people call it.

Yea, us Tennesseans would know for sure

:D Ellum! Thanks for bringing back memories! I haven't "heard" that species called since my grandpa got too sick to work in the woods! 3rd generation logger here so Ive heard most of the old timey names at one time or another.

Hebenbush is another old timer name for a tree around here, any idea as to what the correct name is?

Tree of Heaven?

I'd like to do some logging sometime, at least for the experience: the experience of logging, and to get lots of felling and quick ground limbing practice in a short time.

Tree of Heaven?

I'd like to do some logging sometime, at least for the experience: the experience of logging, and to get lots of felling and quick ground limbing practice in a short time.
That's correct! :D As far as logging goes, its gonna be hard to walk on to any jobsite and start felling trees, that's where the money is. limbing, topping and bucking aren't really jobs for newbies either. Its way too easy to get hurt or worse with those too. Bucking on the yard is fairly safe as long as the people working around you pay attention.

Leaf/ needle pics would help.
I might be way off but bark looks like scotch pine. That dark wood sure don't though.

Welcome Huntaholic! I have family in Knoxville. A lot of hills around there, bet logging can be a pita on hills.

Thanks for the welcome Johnny! Yeah logging around here can be a challenge for sure. I normally keep 350ft of cable on at least one machine for the longer drags and sometimes that's still not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure the needles you see in the pic are aromatic eastern juniper, aka red cedar. Im in eastern middle TN, about 30 miles north of Cookeville.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks All.

Yeah, no leaves.... (maybe I could find some shots of the branches/limbs).

The picture may not do the bark justice....
...and although there were no leaves I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't any evergreen.

Some form of Elm was what I was guessing (sort of by default).

I think I've seen that bark in a description somewhere..... on to google now to see if I can find it again.

The needles you see are from another tree that the customer wants to remain
... a Cedar I thought (smells like Cedar) ... or a Juniper?

Thanks.

'Eastern redcedar,' is Juniper something-something.

Western redcedar is Thuja plicata.

True cedars are Cedrus_____.

Cedar of Lebanon
Atlas blue cedar
Deodor Cedar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cool. thanks Sean.

MB... protocol/etiquette question please .............. since I am the OP....

...am I thereby the "host" of my thread and therefore is it necessary (i.e. good manners) and/or "normal" for me to acknowledge the contributions to my thread?

i.e. to specifically, in the thread, acknowledge thanks/appreciation for each contribution of substance to my thread?

I am very happy to do so -- to express appreciation for the time/effort/knowledge, etc. people share ---

-- but just wondering if it is off-putting or cluttering or against normal protocol, etc.

thanks.

Yup, the forebear of our endemic juniper Juniperus bermudiana, otherwise known as Bermuda cedar...

Back