Stihl 500i

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm so looking forward to get my hands on one.

I'll need to check if we have one out here. We use those saws all the time to cut hard surface like roads and sidewalks, and they are completely abused lol. We might have had one earlier this season, i can't remember.

Have I just been reading the wrong threads or have you been away awhile, Magnus?

This looks impressive,Given f.I. has been around on cars for donkeys ears,why has it taken so long for it to filter down to the horticulture industry?Is it a 2/ thing,and will it also apply to 4 strokes in due course?On another note,can we ever expect to see 4 stroke chainsaws!Or is the whole 4 stroke thing just a passing sop to environmental concerns which will pass in time? (He retreats scratching his muddled head).

I did a little bit of research, for reasons that escape me now it’s more difficult to FI two strokes. The driving force behind it is the motorcycle industry, if you’re going to gurgle it, that’s your starting point.

We'll see a 4 stroke, ijection fed saw within the next decade.

I'll be the first one on my block to own one:)

My 4 mix power pruner is the nuts, I was wondering today why there are no 4 mix chainsaws, anyone....Bueller...anyone?

There was a 62cc fuel injected 2 stroke RC airplane gas engine, it came out years ago like around 2013/14. Evolution 62GXi

I'd think a 4 stroke chainsaw, though a bit heavier, could do very well. They don't risk blow back like a reedless 2 stroke, and you can lube it with 2 stroke mix by running the mix through the carnk case like a 2 stroke, but with reed or rotary valves. It will double charge the intake operating that way. YS supercharged engines do it.

Just remember 4 stroke has half the power strokes.

Interesting stuff,after reading a lot of mixed reports on 4 stroke gear,I've held back on trying b/cutters,blowers and stuff.They seem to be heavier,with more moving parts and require more maintenance from what I read.What I'd like to know is are these machines here for the long haul?I read that 2 strokes,given stratification/scavenging are improving(I have absolutely no idea what this means)!I just wonder is it worth investing in 4 strokes if its just an interim clean up thing until 2 strokes start hitting environmental targets in v. Clean markets.

All I can say is my 4 mix power pruner cuts great, much better than the old 2 stroke. Good torque right through the rev range and a reliable starter and idler.

Just my experience as they say.

No, not much heavier.
There is consumer grade fourstroke chainsaws on market now. China stuff I suspect. Haven't really looked in to it.

I tested the Dolmar 500V. A four stroke 50cc.

If it really is emissions they are after, a conventional two stroke engine With a good ignition system and fuel injection would be better than four stoke or stratified engines from a environmental point of view.

Take a load of saws built in a country with not so hard restrictions on anything. Perhaps with not so great deal for workers as well. Built there dirt cheap. Waste and factory stuff is put behind shop or in closest river. Saw gets assembled from parts made there in factory if it can't be built else were cheaper.
Then put the saws in boxes on a plane, fly this half way around the world or more to a warehouse were it is to be distributed. Some of these saws get sold locally, but most will get another plane ride to next ware house. There they sit until customer go in a store/web or real and store/dealer order it for him.
Perhaps one more plane ride or truck ride to dealer.
Transport from dealer is not all that bad, he get his grocery's and pick up the kids from school at the same time anyway as gas is pricey for him.
During the life of this saw for this logger he runs 5l gas 300 day's a year. If he is lucky he'll run it a year, 1500 liters fuel go thru this emission correct saw. He rebuild it once as it ran too hot. After this year the saw need new crank and dealer tell him its cheaper to get a new one. So another saw go out dealers door. He pick up the Kids, do the shopping for this week, run by the hamburger place as he is a tiny bit pressed for time. Inside there is a little can were he put a dollar for the ones (in a well known country for making cheap stuff) that has it very ruff as their parents died from being exposed to chemicals and bad environment. Next weak the saw go kaboom in forrest and after a trip to dealer he get another on warranty. Dealer toss the saw in bin or send it to brand headquarters were it enjoy a plane ride and a few truck rides on the way.
As the logger go to his work next day wit h his third new saw within 14 months he start thinking of the good old day's when he ran a saw 20-30 months and it was made an hours drive from his place. He even had two cousins and a uncle working there.

But yes. His saw is environmentally correct and EPA put their sticker on it...

I have a Stihl Km100p that is fitted with a short trimming head for cutting vegetation underwater when we worked in clearing waterways.

That thing has been running flat out for about 1½ months a year for 12 years.

We've adjusted the valve s once and maybe changed the plugs twice.

I must have dipped the powerhead under water at least 20 times, squeezed the water out of the air filter, pulled maybe 10 times, and she is up and running again.

Same goes for our Stihl pole saw.
Been gonig for 11 years and only had a bad hair day once, when some idiot ( Me!) put chain oil in the gas tank.
If I go out and take it down from it's place on the wall in the shop, I know it'll start on the second pull.
Always does.

Running alkylate fuel has something to do with that, I'm sure.

Personally, I think the 4 strokes are winning the small engine race everywhere but chainsaws, and it is only a matter of time before the two last brands of pro saws try to go that way, too.

Heckuva an overarching post, Magnus.

Yes, a bit over the top for most I guess..
Point is that environmentally correct products actually is worse for environment as he will need two or three for same job during a specific time.
Environmental impact from scratch to sale of one saw is way worse than from the sale and its use. Building saw, making parts, transports, recycling etc is way worse on environment than the fuel is digest in its lifetime!

Here we have so good environmental rules so we can't build battery's for the products we make here.
They need to be made in country's with less restrictions and environmental laws.
Same go for a lot of things.
I am crazy, I know that.. But this environmental stuff is way worse than most rational thinking...

Is two stroke cleaner as it burns it's Oil in use ? , Four stroke case is full of used Oil at change time which has to go somewhere

Back