Stihl 500i

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A looong time ago.

Absolutely6 brilliant for the time, though.

Once the rings get set in the cylinder they shouldn't need to be replaced, though it might not hurt to put new rings in after several hundred hours to reduce the end gap in the rings if it really make much of a difference.

So what makes you get new saws, what breaks normally? Loss of compression? Destroyed bearings? Broken crank? Or do they reach a point where every little thing needs fixing each week: fuel lines, carb, handle, ignition, anti vibe buffers, oil pump...

I want to see diesel saws

Here is a set of rings that came out of a OE 372 I had. Still ran good but could feel it loosing psi pulling over.

Throw a set of new rings and not even seated improved 20psi. Friend has the saw now so dont know where it ended up once broke in.

Refresh them. Quick and easy to do.

Just to show difference in worn rings and new.

ringsoldnew.JPG

I had always wondered, because I inspected my dad's old well used 359 and 372 to find the cylinders looked new, perfectly smooth with very visible hone marks. One I remember had a good size oil streak in one spot which I figured was the ring gap, but now I think I saw it on the exhaust side, maybe not. Every other saw I've looked into was either relatively new or worn out to the point of tearing up the cylinder. All generally show some scratches left over from break in, which I assumed would only get worse. I now think they get worn away over lots and lots of use, which is the only reason why I'd think new rings a good idea, because the cylinder doesn't need anymore breaking in.

Can you get slightly oversized rings or are saws too short lived for them to be worth it?

Yah , oversized rings ? ..... Use what’s specified by the manufacturer ... and check the Gap ! If you use rings without the proper gap (ie too small) when the piston / rings get hot the rings expand and have nowhere to go as the ring ends are butted together ! Not conducive to performance/service life of engine and can cost $$$ eh ?

We usually get about 2000 hours out of our 70 cc saws.

Sometimes with a carburator rebuild and having the bearing sels switched out.
I'vfe never had do have the rings switched.
Is that unusual?

We run alkylate fuel only, that may help on the longevity.
The ones running Alkylate has very little fuel issues and if they run saw normal (not to hot) there is very little issues.

Hey Stig, I talked to my Stihl dealer today and he said the 500i should be available in the USA in Sept. or Oct. of this year.
But it's going to be PRICEY! $2,500 US...

I spoke to my Stihl dealer, he said the only thing holding it back was training the mechanics.

Tbh I’m a bit short of money atm, new chipper and all that. It’ll have to wait.

I spoke to my Stihl dealer, he said the only thing holding it back was training the mechanics.

Tbh I’m a bit short of money atm, new chipper and all that. It’ll have to wait.

Hi Mick, that price is a little too steep for me (for 1 saw); I could buy 2 462's for that price!

Hope so. I guess we'll see in Sept./Oct. If they're reasonable, I do need a saw in that class. I wouldn't mind paying a couple hundred more than a 462...

From UK they were $1279 USD give or take $10. Couple already in US. Plus shipping.

I am undecided on the 500i or the 462.

The ground saw we use the most of are the 441's,the saws we use the least are the 661's and the 084.
Buying a saw that is closest in performance to the least used saws is illogical I suppose.

The people who I have spoken to that have used both present a 50/50 split between wether or not the 462 or the 500i was their favorite.

Both have been considered impressive.

I know I preferred the 661 as my go to ground saw. That, or the muffler modded 291. Otherwise I'd just use a top handle saw since it's handy enough on branches up to 12". So, I'd go for the 500i. I'm all for best power for the weight. Get more work done faster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you are not logging, the 462 will be the better deal IMO.
For those of us who live by how many cubic meters of wood, we can get on the ground in a day, The 500i is it.

I read a bit more now and seen IPL and WM.
I like it. Its a great beginning! I think this is the future.
Finally a end to these styrato/fresh air engines! Yippee!

Stock first cuts in US. Brad owner

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/93-VP0QJFhw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back