hinge pics

Monday morning quarterbacking, Stephen.

No way you or anybody else could have known that spot would have better holding capability.

No harm no foul. Just interesting how only a little thing can make a difference.
Like when you can't see that little branch near the base from when the tree was young and it gives you fits wedging it over. Just little things.

Or when that little branch is right in one side of your gutted hinge, causing it to break and making the tree go sideways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WOW,
that's the kind of thing you just have to see to believe, and hopefully learn from.... Greatest learning opportunities come when something goes wrong or at least unplanned... Got to pay attention to these small details to keep from repeating the mistake when it really counts..

I wonder if a thicker hinge would have held better.. have a feeling it would have.... guessing from the pics that it went off to the right..

Thanks for sharing..

Thicker hinge, the tree would not have fallen with out the help of a skid steer. Too much fiber, tree would have stopped at the salute to the fuhrer
Position. Trouble with beetle kill trees is that the limbs and tops are seriously light from lack of moisture, yet the bases, if not long dead, can have serious holding fiber.

Hey with all the beetle killed trees are you seeing a boon in woodpeckers like I'm seeing around here from the EAB?

Yeah, releasing on doubles is interesting.
A snipe should help for that, giving a support edge almost in front of each half hinges instead of one central point putting the trunk in balance.

Or when that little branch is right in one side of your gutted hinge, causing it to break and making the tree go sideways.

More than once, I've seen a stub in my hinge.

Close inspection of bark characteristics, or shaving bark sometimes reveals more, but often, it's only once it's down that they're seen.

Even if you know your facecut is clean, having a look inside, sometimes reveals an important detail.

Ahh, fascia board, not at all like plantar fascia.

You got the "Heil" origin of fascis right, Sean.
Means a bundle of reeds or small branches that was used as the logo by Italian Fascists before and during WW2 if my memory isn't going the way of the rest of me.

So rewrite that sentence and I'll do my best to answer.

Thicker hinge, the tree would not have fallen with out the help of a skid steer. Too much fiber, tree would have stopped at the salute to the fuhrer
Position. Trouble with beetle kill trees is that the limbs and tops are seriously light from lack of moisture, yet the bases, if not long dead, can have serious holding fiber.

I can't 'read' your stump picture. Seems like a thicker hinge could just as easily have caught more moist fibers, and swung it more, unseen until the end. Yes? No?

Last I checked, thick hinges and hard pulls are not the answer to everything.

Now that made ever so much more sense.....................................................................................................not!

Maybe try asking me the question again, and this time phrasing it for commie morons.

I'm not deliberately trying to be an asshole here, Sean, I simply don't get what you are asking me.

9 hour time difference means that I won't get back to you till tomorrow, sorry.

Sean, I think we are crossing threads somehow.
I just realized that I'm responding to you in 2 different threads and I think we are mixing them up.

Back