hinge pics

Trig was one of my fave classes... I had an awesome teacher. If all of my teachers' woulda been like him I'd have a rocket on Titan by now.

Ha same here. His name was professor Fine. His father was a chess grandmaster. Other math teachers said prof was literally a genius. He made college math fun and interesting to this non math person. He would spend fully the first half of every class talking about absolutely anything other than math. And one day, the normal 1/2 class chat ran long right to the end of class- no math touched on that day! He was a trip!

I reached out to him years later re a news story- somebody shot a gun off into the air and the bullet came down and hit and killed a kid riding in a car on a highway. That tragedy raised a question re were the odds any higher that the random kid would have been hit while in motion vs getting hit standing still. He said the odds were the same for each circumstance, as long as the shooter was shooting randomly into the air.

Learn and experience the tried and true fundamentals that have put wood on the ground reliably before any trick shots, IMO.
Good Advice!
Keep trigonometry out of it, too.
Trig, just is our way for measuring what is already there, or going to be etc. So, can give understanding to changes and forces etc. But if too hard to watch all that at first, can hide eyes but not situation from trig. Later, for more comprehensive look; would be good to come back to trig IMO, for better view and gauge of what are actually looking at.
Most tree-felling can be accomplished with 1-2-3 cuts, wedge/jack or pull-rope, if gravity doesn't suffice.
Or " wedge/jack or pull-rope" to force stronger hinge when forward lean even. Serve forward with push or pull to target before hinge flexes, makes it flex earlier, with more meat. Bigger biceps after some exercise to stronger/bulkier!
>>hinge will be moving by degrees to greater and greater leveraged load positions of harsher loading
>>so prepping hinge,by over-exercising it to more than tree's own value, can prep a stronger hinge , than tree weight would have birthed from hinge on own.
So like to think of it as exercising hinge stronger with fake weight, like hinge thinx tree is heavier, so makes stronger hinge in PASSIVE response.
>>then would favor removing extra push/pull fake weight once starts moving /is 'committed'.
Pull should be to target direction, making whole hinge across stronger.
>>BUT, really think is best NOT to push pull against side lean mostly
To the imagery of exercising hinge stronger with extra push/pull forward to target for fake weight
>>offsetting side lean acts as ballast against side lean; could 'baby' hinge weaker, as less loaded during forming
>>then fall starts and the push/pull ballast offset of efforts is removed,
>>so made hinge with less side lean against it,
>>then anti-side lean push/pull removed against side lean as tree moves>>so side lean slammed back in with impact AGAINST hinge support.
So, to me,push/pull to target on tree that will already go towards target can make stronger hinge
>>this can in turn fight against side lean, make slower fall/lighter impact etc.
>>if pulled backwards against hinge could birth weaker hinge, cut rope at last minute and tree flies thru cuz hardly any hinge
>>rope fiber instead of wood fiber was holding a bunch of weight now released>>impacting into fall
Similarly, pulling against cross axis load/side lean could baby hinge from Natural process of hinge formation against existing loadings at the time of growth/manufacturer as a response to a TEMPORARY lesser loading during formation, and then that side load slamming back into formulae when extra push/pull removed as tree lunges forward.
So, birth weaker hinge, with original forces IMPACTING back in against it.
>>But,if the side lean was left alone, no directional force against it
>>to this theory would have made stronger hinge and not had side lean force drop, then impact against on return to normal/unballasted value!
i think a twist in this is going to be for a harder side lean vs. forward lean of same weight:
>>the side lean will have less forward force (as some force is pulling sideways)
>>so forces weaker strip hinge in response
>>fall progresses and more of side lean now more forward on hinge pivot
>>with less back row fibers than same tree forward lean fall direction chosen
>>thus bluffing extra load forward, preps hinge strength for coming forces imagery/model

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha same here. His name was professor Fine. His father was a chess grandmaster. Other math teachers said prof was literally a genius. He made college math fun and interesting to this non math person. He would spend fully the first half of every class talking about absolutely anything other than math. And one day, the normal 1/2 class chat ran long right to the end of class- no math touched on that day! He was a trip!

I reached out to him years later re a news story- somebody shot a gun off into the air and the bullet came down and hit and killed a kid riding in a car on a highway. That tragedy raised a question re were the odds any higher that the random kid would have been hit while in motion vs getting hit standing still. He said the odds were the same for each circumstance, as long as the shooter was shooting randomly into the air.

I think we've all observed that more rain hits the windshield when the car is moving... common sense would make it more likely to get ht by a bullet if you are moving.. IMO.... but I haven't been a math genius since the 70s.. ;)

NO! We may have all perceived what we thought was more rain, possibly.

For every drop you hit at 70 mph (sound is more intense), don't you outrun a raindrop at 70 mph?

X, y, and z components of projectiles (falling rain is a physics projectile) traveling are independent.
Most people do not know this, nor have every considered this.

I don't think that it is Opinion (IMO... opinion is valuation). I think it is an Observation, and also an incorrect Observation.

Please explain your rationale. Please show your work, as they say when a person posits something.

Have you studied physics?

NO! We may have all perceived what we thought was more rain, possibly.
Have you studied physics?

Not since just after I was a math genius... willing to have been mistaken on this one... certainly not going to get into a pissing match over it!

My cutting techniques on the other hand..

The windshield is vertical or near vertical, so of course more raindrops hit it when moving at speed.

That doesn't apply to being hit on your head by a falling bullet, though.

"I reached out to him years later re a news story- somebody shot a gun off into the air and the bullet came down and hit and killed a kid riding in a car on a highway. That tragedy raised a question re were the odds any higher that the random kid would have been hit while in motion vs getting hit standing still. He said the odds were the same for each circumstance, as long as the shooter was shooting randomly into the air."

Doesn't say anything about getting hit in the head... Did I just say I didn't want to get into a pissing match over this... OK.. I admit... I lied.. or I wouldn't be writing this... now for the big question... hit submit or delete ???????? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right.
I misread that. In my mind I had a picture of a bullet coming down vertically.

I read a study years ago about whether you get more or less wet if you run through the rain or walk.
No difference, you just get hit more on the front if you run.

Hmm... The surface area of a person as seen from above is much smaller than the full frontal. If a person were to just lay down, their body would be exposed to more rain than if standing. So if a person was moving forward at the same speed as a falling raindrop(20 mph), they would have a larger amount of drops hit them than if they stood still. If they moved faster than the rain was falling the exposure would be even greater.
The same would be true if it were raining bullets that fall at (300 to 700 feet per second) which means they would need to travel over 477.27 mph to increase exposure if they were in a raining bullet storm.

Hmm... The surface area of a person as seen from above is much smaller than the full frontal. If a person were to just lay down, their body would be exposed to more rain than if standing. So if a person was moving forward at the same speed as a falling raindrop(20 mph), they would have a larger amount of drops hit them than if they stood still. If they moved faster than the rain was falling the exposure would be even greater.
The same would be true if it were raining bullets that fall at (300 to 700 feet per second) which means they would need to travel over 477.27 mph to increase exposure if they were in a raining bullet storm.

wait a second here...Let me give it some thought... First thing that comes to mind is that tree guys like to think about these sorts of things... especially when our lives are on the line...

You lean into the direction you're running exposing your back to rain more than the front. You push air as you run, so that is a variable. Running creates much higher splashes, but less foot-falls. How fast do you have to run to outrun sidesplash from one foot to the to other? How slow do you have to run to not kick the splash in front of you, created by your last foot fall?

If you are just considering it as a "2 dimensional" problem -- the target is the top of the head...
and... considering any bullet contact to the head counts as a "hit" -- even a glancing hit because you are moving fast.
THEN -- isn't the professor right? ..... ODDS of getting hit SAME whether moving or standing still?

e.g.: Checkerboard ... poor guy on one of 64 squares... whether moving or not... when bullet hits the wrong square 1/64 chance, he gets hit.

Same as in game of "Battleship" ... if you shoot one to your opponents "E6" square and his ship has remained there or he moved it a second earlier, he gets hit.

Same principle, just the odds multiplied by 1,000,000's ---- 1 square foot of head and 1/4 sq. inch of bullet.

To many variables. Windage on rain fall, direction and velocity of travel, amount of rain fall. I’ve been onsite where one side of the truck was getting poured on and the sun was shining on the other side. Under those circumstances, one would absorb more rain intake than if that person ran in the direction of the other side of the truck. Mother Nature is a bitch and I’m pretty sure she likes to rain on my side of the truck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HtbJbi6Sswg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So according to Myth busters running gets you wetter than walking... meaning you are getting hit by a greater percentage of rain drops.... this makes sense, as it' not uncommon to have to turn up the wiper speed when you increase the vehicle speed... SO how does that relate to the chances of getting hit by a bullet??? I would think that since moving faster makes you get hit by a greater percentage of raindrops, then you would be at greater chance of getting hit by a lead raindrop...

Then there's the penny drop myth -- spoiler: a dropped penny can't embed in concrete nor a human skull (doesn't reach terminal velocity):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PHxvMLoKRWg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's only one lead rain drop in question. When fired randomly into the air, there's no greater chance of it landing on a stationary random target than a moving random target. According to Prof Fine.

Here is a pretty straight up Humboldt from today on a smallish 20" by 60 foot tall ponderous beetle kill tree. I am just showing this to bring up where gutting the hinge would have worked better. The tree swung right almost 10 degrees to the lay because of the little 3" spot off center that had more moisture than the rest of the tree in the second pic. Fibers were still holding and had to be cut the remove the log.Tree had some back lean to it, weight in the crown was favoured to the lay. It was not critical here since it was in the woods and no real critical target. Did result in a little oak getting pruned of a limb though.
I think, if I had gutted the hinge, I might had caught that little patch of wet and hit my lay better.
Was able to wedge it right over, so no pull line at play here.

Attachments

• 20181207_110912.jpg
    20181207_110912.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181207_110840.jpg
    20181207_110840.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181207_110835.jpg
    20181207_110835.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 58
Back