hinge pics

Come on Daniel, up your game mate.

If you are gonna be a YouTube teacher, at least insist your subject wear a bit of PPE.

Wouldn’t want them to get injured now? Especially as you have a “where there is a blame, there is a claim” culture over there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I rolled the dice on this one....

I was in my 20th year of cutting trees before I saw my first pair of chaps. Didn't even know they existed. They get almost no play here. I own 4 pairs. Mostly use them for stump grinding to protect the legs from getting beat up by flying chips. To this day I don't recall ever having seen another local tree crew wearing chaps.

So you’re saying a total newbie can make a nicer stump than you? Wow I’m so surprised.

Surprisingly well. I used a small gap too which probably helped. A combination of winter moth and browntail moth have been smoking our oaks and apples.
In hindsight, I made the undercut level vs perpendicular to the lean...

Godamn, there's a lot of beauteous oaks up there. I'm guessing the moth problems are treatable? But what about all of em in the woods?? :whine:

It’s quite depressing but localized for the moment, then there’s the HWA smoking the hemlocks, EAB is now in northern Maine. Hard times for ecosystems, tree-people/naturalists, and some industries.

Did it hold well?
Sure looks like it did from the pics... That's an awesome cut... I think the mass of the tree makes a big difference in the ability of a hinge to hold against that much side lean. You can get away with a lot more when they aren't as massive! Great cut and photo essay!

Just looking through some old photos.

I think I lost this one to the side weight but was expecting it so I cut it short enough not to do any damage... It's been so long I don't remember the exact details.

spruce air cut.jpg

spruce air cut notch.jpg

At least spruce bud worm is a native, but damn can it smoke some forests! Think the last big kill in Eastern Canada and here was early eighties?

They make your work pants last longer though!

It’s 90+*F here this week and I will say my chainsaw pants are hot as hell. Not that I’ve had an incident but I still have my legs. I can deal with heat if I can still walk in the very slim chance oh shit happens.

I don't like chaps.

And I think sawyers who don't like chaps come in two types.

First type: They believe cut resistant pants are a much better choice. Many reasons why. We all know them :).

Second type: They are dumber than a box of rocks.

Just my opinion :D.

$600 cut for a landscaper...

100 foot tulip, front lean with a little left lean.

took less than 10 minutes.

my first attempt at a sizwheel

I'm sure Rico would have a field day. IMG_20200709_001005_184.jpg

Hit the hole in the woods perfectly...

looked good. the landscaper was going to have a climber piece it out, but he broke his leg.

So, that Sizwill never engaged Dan... which is a good thing... meaning that the tapered hinge you done was plenty enough to hold all the side lean that that tree was ever gonna have. But also, (and you must believe me brother, that it pains me to say this) from the look of the image, (and God knows I can't see it too sweet) it looks like you COULD have a bit of a nasty dutchman just before the vertical boring cut. One can plainly see this (now that I think about it) from the open (black colored) kerf on the tension side. (Or... were you trying for a double/tripple hinge type deal?)

I would always advide against it when using a Sizwill. (But then... I am definitely no fan AT ALL of the double/trippel hinge even though Jack Beelar and Stig both use them. Two men whose walking ground, I would gladly worship.)

Burnham: But now we're just beating a dead horse. It has already been adequately and thoroughly demonstrated (okay... mostly by myself, but others HAVE weighed in) that I have been 100% certified to be very much dumber indeed than a box of rocks, so... Can I ask why you repeat that redundancy?

Jed,
you are a gem of a human being.

here's a better look, showing that one little kerf that maybe, just maybe looked like a dutchman, was rendered inconsequential by the center plunge.

And the other large vertical kerf was basically a lazy man's way to clean up a poorly cut sizwheel, which he didn't have a clue how to cut in the first place.

And once again, this pic is a great testament to the holding power of fat hinges.

ps.... this would be a perfect pic for Rico and Stig to freak out on for showing such a lack of precision saw skills, yet at the same time functioning perfectly and taking the tree to the exact lay in minutes when everyone else around here would have climbed it IMG_20200710_081142_862.jpg

I'll keep cutting trees the way I see fit.

turned this gum close to 45 degrees from the side lean. it had side weight too.

center plunge to allow more holding on the tension side of the hinge, and cut out all but a small post on the compression side, to keep it from sitting down on the kerf.

the tree was leanin well to the right of the codominant walnut in the background, will all the limb weight hanging right as the left side's top had blown out in the storm IMG_20200717_234731_790.jpg IMG_20200717_234950_636.jpg 20200717_145545.jpg Screenshot_20200718-082456_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Back