hinge pics

Wayback machine :)...

Nothing exciting, just a quick edit I made for a friend as we were discussing felling these shitty ash with die back. We were focusing on retaining as much hinge as possible & still boring due to the smaller bar used. The damn things are sometimes really brittle & he has been loosing a good few sideways.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ash here is extremely unreliable... often seems to hinge well... other times almost no control. I still haven't figured out how the variables come in to play. I overkill with a pull line on anything near valuables.

It is the same here, Pete.
Once Armillaria gets to them, they become completely unreliable, hinge wise.

ash here is extremely unreliable... often seems to hinge well... other times almost no control. I still haven't figured out how the variables come in to play. I overkill with a pull line on anything near valuables.

Same here, one will still be solid and have some resemblance of holding wood, others are cut and run....a few are let mother nature take 'em down, as you know damn well there will be no control and it'll fall long before you want it to. In the woods, I can get away with it....you have no choice, has to come down.

Ed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
50 foot ash top from the bucket truck late in the day for a friend who chipped 3 jobs in trade

about 20 inches at the cut

one of 3 tops all about the same

16 inch bar

my hands didn't start cramping until the picture taking started 20200610_203527.jpg

Gutted the one hinge even though I still felled it higher than normal due to it being poor at ground level ( you can see the saw below as I cut it off after) after I’d faced it up it looked sound inside so didn’t want it to pull fibre.
As for the black and white photo, why gut it if you don’t need too🙄🤣.
On the Oak, got to watch the short grain here and not get too wide!! 257EE9B0-EA4F-40A8-8975-80FFEE80D1AB.jpeg B631EC13-EC36-4684-B410-A8EF0F0CF84F.jpeg 73C2CF6F-F9D0-4281-B162-B0D286C484CA.jpeg

Nice pics. What boots ya got there?

Why the extra low stump, that looks like a lot of extra work

Maximum utilization is obviously preferred, but cost/benefit seems questionable

Probably time, but you gotta do what you gotta do. What's the saying; "An inch at the stump's worth a foot on the stem", or something like that?

Where’s the extra cost?
Loads of extra time and effort cutting. And, though it's not a residential setting where stumps are usually dirty to some extent, Low cutting invites dullness from detritus on stump.

And IME, harder to fell accurately compared to cutting at a taller height

An oak butt like that is certainly worth the effort of a few extra minutes and a tickle on the chain afterwards if the worst happens.

Hell no, IMHO.

10"-12" high would be just right, I think.

Back