Purchased a "lot" of gear today. How to incorporate it???

Rustykfd

NewB
I stumbled into a deal I couldn't pass up today and I'm trying to figure out what to keep, what to sell, what to put on the shelf for later. All bought new, mostly from Wesspur, in 2011 and stored in plastic bins in a dark basement garage. None of this has ever been used.

IMG_0715.jpg

First, I have my gear configured around 12.7mm Vortex and 1/2" Arbormaster. I can interchange pretty freely between my ropes.

This guy bought a 10.2mm x 60m Maxim dynamic climbing rope and bought the GRIGRI and Petzl ID-S (10mm-11.5), both are rated for smaller rope than I am using.

The rope is new, but 2009 manufacture date. I'm thinking it probably shouldn't be used for life safety.

Main questions are the utility of the GRIRGI and ID as well as the rope........ I'm kind of inclined to use the rope for light rigging/utility and sell the ID. It looks like there are, possibly, practical uses with the GRIGRI.:?

The spurs are Buckingham Steel replaceable tree gaffs, also brand new. Can I just buy replacement pole gaffs and put them on those(I just got a set of tree gaffs), then I'll have a set-up with both gaff lengths. Anyone interested in swapping compatible gaffs, my trees for your poles?

I was gonna ask what you're using for a positioning lanyard. That's a good looking one, especially for sappy/ pitchy stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, the Id and grigri are good for a rescue-able basal anchor if you're ascending srt and get stuck/ unconscious. I feel there's little practical use for either device in a Drt/ Ddrt/ MRS system. There's so many better options now that do more than just descend.
I traded my Id to Frans years ago for a Lockjack sport. I use the grigri to belay my kids if they wanna climb. Yes, they're both great descenders, but I'm fine descending a single line on a fig 8 or munter.

And yes, you can absolutely just swap the tree gaff out for pole gaff... but you probably don't need to. I believe you're all set in the gaffs department :D
Watch out for that OCGD ( obsessive compulsive gear disorder, or obsessive climbing gear disorder, depending who you ask) bug, it'll bite ya!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was gonna ask what you're using for a positioning lanyard. That's a good looking one, especially for sappy/ pitchy stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, the Id and grigri are good for a rescue-able basal anchor if you're ascending srt and get stuck/ unconscious. I feel there's little practical use for either device in a Drt/ Ddrt/ MRS system. There's so many better options now that do more than just descend.
I traded my Id to Frans years ago for a Lockjack sport. I use the grigri to belay my kids if they wanna climb. Yes, they're both great descenders, but I'm fine descending a single line on a fig 8 or munter.

And yes, you can absolutely just swap the tree gaff out for pole gaff... but you probably don't need to. I believe you're all set in the gaffs department :D
Watch out for that OCGD ( obsessive compulsive gear disorder, or obsessive climbing gear disorder, depending who you ask) bug, it'll bite ya!

I think I caught it (OCGD) already, is there a remedy?

This stuff kind of fell in my lap. My almost 90 year old neighbor bought this stuff 7 or 8 years ago so he could do some tree work.......:O I'll see to it that his work gets done.

My lanyard is basically the same, but 1/2", this one is 5/8"

I like the idea of the ID for a rescue ready basal anchor, but this one is only supposed to be for 10-11.5mm rope, I'll give my ropes a try and see what happens. They make another ID that does 11.5-13mm, so I'm thinking it'll be a no go.

I'm guessing the GriGri and ID may end up in the pile of stuff in the corner that I may use for something someday..............

Thanks to you, I am sitting pretty good in the gaff department.

I have a set, my fat ass finds them comfortable if you are in them all day lol. I rarely use them, and that was before i got working too much to climb...

Yeah they are useless for going out on a limb, but if you gotta chunk down a spar for several hours, and just got back from lunch, they aren't bad. I'm dramatically slower than all of you guys tho!

I cut my old style petzl handled ascender into a floating ascender for rope-walking.

You can make a wooden rope wrench, and go SRT with any standard hitch, just not midline attachable, and maybe the stiff tether doesn't work as well, but basically free.

You can complicate the basal-anchor with a GriGri, if you want. Its silly IMO to do so. You really should plan NOT to use it. KISS. Graeme McMahon has the simplest, best base-tie, simply using the rope. NO cutting, no complicated lowering systems.

If I'm in a position where I'm unconscious and can't lower myself there's a huge chance I'll have my lanyard on and can't be lowered anyways.

I'm glad I made it through w/o anything like that ever happening. It was a concern that was always in the back of my mind.

When I learned to climb in the woods it was known there was no rescue plan. So I always accepted the activity as a all in sort of risk scenario. We often joked the rescue plan was don't get hurt. Stupid, but true.

If I'm in a position where I'm unconscious and can't lower myself there's a huge chance I'll have my lanyard on and can't be lowered anyways.

If you're every hurt, get your lanyard off ASAP. Cut yourself, unclip and hold pressure, as best possible. Get hit by a rig gone wrong, unclip. Smash a hand, unclip.

Hope your trained ground crew can use a very simple lowering system. Doesn't even need a biner. Just a basal wrap that locks off and is releasable under load. Full rope strength.

Back