Not too exciting to most of you guys, but it was to me.

Hey Rusty, it was Heather, she was maybe two year below me at Warwick Academy.
Small word hey!
The Butterfield lineage in world class sports is phenomenal, 'nuff respect' as the young ones say :)
Switching to Private message...

I run to the car in the rain, and run to the store for milk, and run in, to the fridge for a snack.

Small world of runners! Anyone else train for my events, Masters division?:lol:

Re: the thread title...if this stuff is TOO exciting you may be doing something wrong. I try to keep the excitement to a minimum....:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Progress

Yes I have OCGD, but I try to be a little responsible with my spending and I like to build as much of my stuff as I can. I have a 13x36 lathe, small mill, welding/cutting gear, etc in my shop and have built everything from bumpers, headache racks to rifles and dive gear.

The top I negative rigged displayed the need to redirect and add control at the base of the tree and I've got some more trees lined up that will require more control. So I made a trip to my metal supplier as well as ordering some Tenex over the Black Friday weekend.

I'm pretty satisfied for my first couple of projects:

I expect the 5/8 Tenex will be overkill for the stuff I plan in the near future, but at least it won't be too small. I've been splicing 3 strand since I was 12 in Scouts, I got a little taste of DBL Braid in the USCG, and I've played a little with hollow core in the past, it seems Tenex is ridiculously easy and versatile to work with.

The Porta-wrap is all stainless, TIG welded and should be adequate for my 1/2" ropes. I learned a couple things on this one that I will improve next time.

Sling #1.jpg

That is once coquettish little porty! Great work there. Slings look wonderful, too.

A friend has been rewarding me with his excellent splicing. I introduced him to tree climbing and helped him get started with tree work and cat rescues. I now refer all my cat rescues to him and he does a great job with them. He spoils me with some awesome gear periodically. I'll get some pictures of his work to show...good stuff he makes.

When he asked to borrow my Brian Toss splicing wand awhile back I took that as a good sign...when he started passing along top notch rigging/spliced gear I knew I had done the right thing. I haven't asked for the wand back...it is doing its work without me....:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
coquettish......had to look that one up.

I'd love to see some splicing ideas. I ordered another 120' of 1/2" Tenex yesterday........

Welcome!
I started with a series of whoopie slings in different sizes for using at the base of trees.
Be careful though; once it bites you splicing will get into your blood and there is no end to what you will want to do. :)

Back