Not too exciting to most of you guys, but it was to me.

Rustykfd

NewB
Just want to share a photo and a couple of videos from some work I did yesterday. I'm not a pro, just helping a buddy get some stuff on the ground safely. I don't have a lot of aerial tree experience. I do have experience in Technical Rescue/Truck Company operations and training from my 20 years as a career firefighter to draw on for rope and height experience. I've been running a saw most of my life, both in firefighting (structural and wildland/forest) as well as firewood cutting and tree trimming for myself and friends and family.

I've been working the last few months to outfit myself and start working in the canopy of trees on mine and my family's/friend's properties. Most has been pruning/deadwooding with a couple small removals.

Yesterday we did some removals at my buddy's home on the east slopes of the Cascades. The goal was to open the canopy to improve his view of the valley, provide defensible space from fires and mitigate some fall risk from wind events. This strip of land has power lines and a roadway at the bottom of the hill with the home and shed above. The photos were taken from the 2nd story balcony. We took about 10 trees, firs and pines, most were simple, but we opted to play it safe on one fir that was leaned toward the house and the big Ponderosa that wouldn't fit in the space we had to work with.

The top that I negative rigged would have been better if we'd used a redirect at the base of the spar, vs just making a turn around another nearby tree that was being culled. Better to keep the load inline with the spar. Lesson learned on that one.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the result as well as the experience I gained.

FWIW, this was my first day working in gaffs, the only problem I had on that end was getting some cramps in my calf on my way down the big Pondo, I ended up taking the top and another 15' chunk then rappelling out DRT and it wasn't an issue.

20181119_140105.jpg
https://youtu.be/31G6DRNmEN4
https://youtu.be/dg9Ti64iFi4

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am in the Tri-Cities (Kennewick/Pasco/Richland) in Washington State. I am a Captain with Kennewick Fire Department currently assigned to an Engine company that crosses to an ALS Medic Unit, carded DIVS in ROSS and a USCG Veteran.

Yesterday's job was in the Wenatchee area.

Nice! Looks pretty good from here.
Volunteer bush fire fighter and road crash rescue as well...Welcome :)

Nice! Looks pretty good from here.
Volunteer bush fire fighter and road crash rescue as well...Welcome :)

Do you live in Bermuda? My wife has family there. We've been over a couple times. She was the Bermuda Triangle Challenge Full Marathon champ 3 years running.

Oh, yeah....great picts there.

For first time on spurs picts look good. Haven't seen vids yet. Welcome to the House.

I'm from there, what's the family's name?
I live in Tasmania now though, but go back every year for family and work.

Dr Colin and Peggy Couper. Peggy is a Butterfield..........

Yes I know them, not personally, been to a few functions where they would have been also, but my goodness, Peggy is road running royalty!
Very good family the Butterfields, nice people.
Went to school with a Couper...she was a bit younger than me, but we tussled in cross country and a bit of triathalon back in the day.

Yes I know them, not personally, been to a few functions where they would have been also, but my goodness, Peggy is road running royalty!
Very good family the Butterfields, nice people.
Went to school with a Couper...she was a bit younger than me, but we tussled in cross country and a bit of triathalon back in the day.

That would have been Ashley or I think the older daughter is Heather. I know Ashley is a world class runner. Peggy is an amazing runner as well. My wife and boys are serious runners, I run if I have to.....

Glad the Buckinghams are working out, Rusty.
Looks like you did your homework and are already comfortable with your equipment. Really well done man.

Back