Dump Trailers

That looks like the size of our Doo Little. It was right at $7k. Our Big Tex was $13k about 12 years ago. I have a buddy that recently bought one just like it except black. It was a left over from hurricane clean up. Very clean trailer. I think he gave about $9k for it.

Here's the problem i have with crap built in Texas.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/657897279/after-ice-raid-a-shortage-of-welders-in-tigertown-texas

One of the oldest tricks in the book is to build a manufacturing facility in a sparely populated area. That way you appear to be a savoir to the locals, but in reality you can tightly control working conditions because you just became the place where most of the community relies on to pay the bills. It's very hard to change jobs or even sell your house if the employer drops wages or worsens working conditions. In the case of trailer manufacturing, it becomes an easy way to skirt labor laws.

As far as metal fabrication goes, trailers for the light truck market are about the darkest corner there is. Most buyers are looking at price far more than quality, and the manufacturers give them exactly that. I have no doubt in my mind that Brian can design a better trailer, because most have little to no engineering or even thought applied to actually using them, they are designed to keep cost down. The materials, paint, wiring, and mechanicals are usually a abysmal at best, to the point at work we actually hire a company to come mess with them when we have problems. The genius actually said the wiring on a trailer was made for a Chevy, and that was why it wouldn't work with the dodge we were using :lol:

When you read that something's made with 12" 3/16 channel, what they mean in the trailer world is that they took sheet and stamped it to form a c shape. Actual c channel has extra material in the corner, which makes it dramatically stronger than the simple bent plate. Same with angle, etc. Using manufacturing methods like this is how they can build stuff so cheaply. Next time you get a chance, make a quick and dirty material list, and then call a steel supply house to get pricing. You will often find that if you used actual structural materials, it would cost a very large portion of the trailer cost, where in manufacturing steel objects labor is the major cost. By using lower grade materials, they are sacrificing longevity to meet a price point. Examine the other systems of the trailer, like the scissor mechanism (likely won't have bushings), the hydraulic lines (cheapest they could get), etc.

I've seen several brands, and I've been impressed by very few. We have a couple felling brand 17000 pound tilt trailers, and they seem about the best I've seen in a bit. When a manufacturer is pushed that hard to bang out product, quality suffers. The guys are on forced overtime, and throughput is pushed very hard from above. When a manufacturer is pushing for the lowest cost during this time, corners are cut because ot is higher than they calculated for when they priced stuff, and to make it work they actually have to produce more than they clocked stuff at. Turnover is shocking in a place like that, so despite the increased workload they are constantly training new guys, possibly on new fixtures, etc. What happens is garbage is sold as top shelf.

I've worked in the production manufacturing world, and I've seen this stuff first hand. While building your own trailer will definitely be the best you can buy because you can control everything, i understand that this is not practical for everyone. Brian, you bought a trailer after shopping around, had tons of problems with it, but have slowly gotten it squared away. You aren't happy with it and i completely understand that. If you come across a trailer that is built to your standards, then by all means buy it. But i would suggest either step up dramatically in quality (and unfortunately price), and/or have one custom built to your specs by a skilled small shop. That way when it's all said and done, you have exactly what you want, and will eventually forget the price when it becomes cheaper on the long run because it will last. You have one now, so you can run that till it's built.

I've slowly come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of people in this world when it comes to buying stuff. The first kind will buy a lesser product at a lesser price, accept that it sucks, and run it until they replace it over and over. The second kind is interested in value, and hates messing with crap that is always fighting him, so he buys the top of the line, and does it once. When i was younger, i was the first guy because that's all i could afford (i thought). Now I'm starting to see that if i buy quality stuff, my workday becomes much more enjoyable, and over time the product is actually cheaper because i don't have to replace it over and over. Obviously we're talking about stuff that we use to make a living with, not a tool we are gonna use once and then put it in the garage for 3 years till we think of using it again...

Great post Kyle - worth looking at the particulars if about ready to go with one particular company.

From what I saw when I was researching a trailer purchase the MAXXD, also out of Texas, was a better build than the Big Tex and right about even with the Midsota trailers. I went with Midsota to get hot dipped galvanizing (an option at $200 per foot) and other options like a front side door for loading a pallet in (or mini skid etc.) Midsota has a design dept and you can get about any custom add ons you want.)

I bought a small 6 x 10 hydraulic dump single axle a couple years ago made by Snake River trailers. It works very good, and the paint thickness is exceptional on the frame. It had a gate that I removed and sold.

I never had much use for a dump trailer. I bought a used one several years ago for about $3,500, spent $600 on new tires, used it once or twice, then it sat at the yard for a few years. I gave it to my stump guy for $1,200 in grinding credit.

My Big Tex tilt trailer that I use for hauling the Nifty Lift has some of those issues mentioned previously. The wiring for the brakes has a loose connection that I haven't been able to track down. Also, the brakes wore out in a little over a year. Tires lasted about 1.5 years. The jack stand gears stripped out and need to be replaced.

Wow. Didn't know my Big Tex that I've had for 12 years and never had a single problem with was "crap". Maybe I better sell it and buy something from another state.

I had a Big Tex. Used it for almost 8 years. Not a dump, but it worked good and never broke or anything like that. But when I upgraded to this new Snake River dump trailer, I noticed right away the build quality and paint were noticeably better. But both company's equipment has worked well for me.

Wow. Didn't know my Big Tex that I've had for 12 years and never had a single problem with was "crap". Maybe I better sell it and buy something from another state.

:lol: Sell that sucka before someone gets struck by lightning while using it!

I'm sorry if my post came off as rude, and i understand some here have invested 10s of thousands into products by companies i mentioned or alluded to. In my experience, products that are made by people who are paid way below the norm, with materials designed to keep the cost down, and pumped out one after another are called crap. This applies to many things i own, from my arait boots (made in China) to probably most parts in my new truck. I'm glad you have had good luck with yours, and i hope it continues to make you a fortune in the future.

Not everything from Texas is garbage either, Bob King welding beds are known as the best in the country, and are from Texas. Now they are made for pipeliners, and so the build quality is impeccable because they will be judged by people who do xray welds for a living, and one will cost from 12 k on up, just for a truck bed. There are many other products from there that are good, and maybe some trailers too.

The point of my post was to illustrate the difference between top of the line, even custom built products from mass produced, borderline imported stuff. 10 years of using a trailer for how it was designed isn't remarkable imo, a custom build one hot dipped and/or epoxy coated would easily last 20 plus at a minimum. Tires, shocks, brakes, and wiring should be the only things you need to bother with to get decades more use from it. Brian had tons of problems with his last one, and from what i could guess about the situation, he won't be happy till he has something top of the line, which will handle decades of abuse and hard work and keep rolling like it's nothing. Stephen pointed out having one custom built, then showed pictures of stuff that would last 3 times what a mass produced one will. I'm casting another vote in that category, and if I'm laid off (rumors of work slowing for a few months) i would gladly accept the opportunity to deliver the quality he wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ended up contacting Texas Pride directly. when I looked at their website they had several options not mentioned to me by the dealer in Jacksonville. I was looking at an 18K lb rated trailer, but TP also has a 20K lb rated trailer which has 18 ply tires, 4" hydraulic cylinders and dual batteries. After pricing out my options I ended up ordering a 20K lb trailer for $11,400 picked up in Texas. They wanted $2K to deliver it which is $2 per mile. That's fair but I can drive out and pick it up myself for less and it's my slow season anyway. It should be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Yes it's still a cheap trailer but I won't have to worry about whether or not it will dump if I load it full and it should be safer rolling down the road with a full load as well. I will keep my old one for now because it doesn't cost me anything sitting here. I can sell it now or 3 years from now and will get the same money out of it. Dump trailers hold their value quite well.

Not an issue unless you live on the beach and drive in the surf on a regular basis. One winter up north will do more damage than a decade or more driving a mile from the beach.

Cant wait to see pics Brian :thumbup:
My 12 foot goose neck was not seeing as much duty recent. So I offered rolling dumpster service with it. 12 footer, 4 foot high.
Several of my clients have used it for cleaning up around their places. Charge them a 1 hour min to drop and transport to the dump plus fees.
When i need it, it is there. Just works sometimes when I dont :)

I have a few guys who will gladly give me $100 per day to use my current dump trailer. No hurry to get rid of it, I'll let it earn me a few dollars instead of selling it right away. And I think it will be nice having a backup if I get in a bind.

Two do come in handy :thumbup:
We had one job recent i took both trailers to. While one got filled, i ran the other. Came back, dropped one and left full again. 6 loads of wood in two and half hours fast as we could load and truck it. Next....

I worry for those taillights if you rent the old one.
If you keep it long enough to need tires, would taller tires help with that taillight clearance issue?

When I bought it it came with 225/75-16 tires, 10 ply. I swapped wheels and tires with my old trailer which had 235/85-16 tires 14 ply. That helped a bit. It's fine if you dump on pavement but you have to be careful dumping in a field or at the dump because the back end comes down within an inch of the ground. A log or rock can catch it when you pull forward. With the stock tires it wouldn't have lasted a week. I can have my welder put a skid plate under the back which will help I think.

The new trailer has been ready and waiting since Monday the 17th. Since it's 3 days of driving to pick it up I have to schedule it around my work schedule. They are closed new years eve as well as new years day but the owner agreed to meet me on Monday, new years eve to pick it up. This way I can drive Sunday-Tuesday and not miss any work days.

I installed air shocks on my old 2002 F150 to handle the tongue weight. Cheaper than the extra fuel required to drive my bucket truck to pick it up, and the pickup is a lot more comfortable. Empty weight is listed at 4500 lbs so it shouldn't be an issue as long as I don't run into heavy side winds. Google says 985 miles each way.

Back