Dump Trailers

SkwerI

Treehouser
Been thinking about replacing my 1 year old dump trailer. Just too many issues, most of which I have already fixed. Several design flaws which make it less than optimal including not being able to dump on rough ground because the tail lights will get ripped out when you pull forward with the bed up. I already had an axle fail (replaced for free) and I had my welding shop reconfigure the front box arrangement so I could have room to operate the tongue jack without my knuckles hitting the back of my truck. I still have issues with the flimsy gate latches as well as the doors which are half the weight/thickness of the rest of the trailer.

Current is a 7x14x4 with 7k lb axles which is pretty standard. Found a place that makes them up to 7x20x4 with 7k, 8k or 9k axles. Currently getting prices for 7x16x4 and 7x18x4 with 8k and 9k axles. I think I will take a drive up there next week and have a look in person (about 160 miles away).

http://www.topshelftrailers.com/18-000-lb-low-profile-dump-trailer.html

Brian, I had to laugh, you could probably design one from scratch that would be perfect!! I'm sure they have great designers, but the man that uses one knows what it needs! And, why are trailer lights always, always a problem? lol

It's probably like the ever popular shed , buying one built and delivered comes out to almost the same cost as building one ...

Brian, looking forward to your report, as we're in the market for one, too as we look to add a mini to our arsenal.

I got one of mine from Tru Trailers about 2 hours from me. They do custom builds. Might look near you and see if you have a builder/designer close to you. Like was pointed out, you know what is best for you. Little upgrades like heavier steel sides and such go a long way. I got lucky while i was scouting around and found those guys.
Seen a lot of buggered trailers being towed by tree guys. Just lack of corner reinforcement at the doors or thinner steel sides. Probably just bought what looked great new, then found that tree work is hard on them.....lol

Brian, maybe you need to do a bit more research into functionality. I opened that link and all I saw was double ram units. As far as I understand those are weak compared to sissors type rams.

Youtube has lots of vids of different manufacturers trailers features including how they dump full loads. Look at the higher end Midsota trailers for ideas at least.

Having a trailer shipped to you if that's what it takes to get the right one is affordable compared to what you describe in headachs, retrofit time and cost, and lost useful productivity during your work cycles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have an issue with the dual rams as much as the wimpy hydraulic pumps they use. I'm thinking a trailer with 9K lb axles and 20K rated hydraulics should be able to handle 15K loads easily enough. My current trailer has a scissors lift and doesn't lift any better than my old one did with dual rams. I still can't load it all the way up in the front or it won't dump.

7x16x4 16k $8995 in stock
7x16x4 18k $10,500 3 weeks out

7x18x4 18k $11,200 3 weeks out

Available options at additional cost
Tarp $350 on 16ft $550 on 18ft
Ramps $200
Spare Tire $200 on 16”
Spare Tire $30” on 9K axles
3/16 Floor $450

I'm not sure why the 18' tarp costs $200 more than the 16' tarp, especially since they seem to always be 4' too long anyway. I'm leaning towards the 7x16x4 with 9k axles, tarp, spare tire and the heavier floor. My math says that is $11,530 which is reasonable as long as I don't need to put another $2500 into mods.

My current trailer will carry just about as much weight as I want to haul anyway, but I'm concerned about being so close to the maximum capacity of the rig. So getting a way bigger trailer isn't as much priority as safely handling what I'm already hauling. I think I'm going to drive up there next week and have a look in person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also just want to express a few thoughts on a dump trailer versus a dump truck. In my situation it makes no sense to buy a dump truck. I already have too many trucks and buying another truck means hiring another person to drive the truck. The insurance, registration and upkeep on another truck are a major expense, not to mention the employee, payroll taxes, additional insurance for adding another driver, etc. A trailer is pretty much a one time expense and I'm already driving a truck to the job capable of pulling it. I don't need it every day so having it sit in the yard doesn't cost me a dime, but it's always ready to go when I need it.

If you have a loader or a spiderlift type machine that requires you to purchase a truck to pull them around, then by all means buy a dump truck instead of a flatbed.

I had a 14k dump trailer, mirage brand for about six years. Beat the living hell out of it. Never broke it, never lost a light either which surprised me. Saw it earlier this year still in use with my old company gotta be pushing nine years old? I'd dent the hell out of the fenders loading it with the mini and put a few dents all over it too. Just bend it back straight. The top rail was stout. Only used it for wood. Had a crane load right into it numerous times.

IMG_0130.jpg

Awesome. It appears it also defied gravity. That was one hell of a trailer. Lol.

Yah I assumed so. Just unlike Brian I had nothing but success with mine. That load was light because it was willa but I could max that trailer and near max it no problem and had no problems. I abused the sides of it ruthlessly loading with a mini that couldn't quite reach over the side and the sides would take it like nothing. The floor was stout and the lights were tucked in nicely on the rear never once broke one. I 'tweaked' the barn style doors more than once and just bent them back into place and carried on. It never cost me a dime over the original purchase price.

We have a Big Tex that we bought new 12 years ago. It's been perfect. I would buy another one tomorrow if I had to. We bbought a smaller DooLittle last summer. Only 16 ft and shorter sides. So far it's been a good trailer but I haven't used it too much. Only real disadvantage to it I've seen so far is the door latches. There is a spring loaded pin at the bottom of each door which is pushed into its corresponding hole in the bottom of the trailer floor. It works great unless there is even the smallest limb against the door. Then you can't pull the little handle to release the pin. I'm going to bore the hole out a little bigger and see if that helps. I'm sure it will rattle then. Now I have to keep a bar handy to pry the doors in to release the latch. The Big Tex has a lever system that will unlatch no matter how much pressure is on it. You can also get a chunk on your foot if you're not careful.

Crap. I guess they dump pretty good being they're upside down. That's the Doo Little. I think I still prefer the Big Tex though.

Here are a couple pictures of Dales, flat bed, dump trailer with roll off, the workings.
16k axles. 5" rams on dump and winch cylinders. Tow vehicle is an F550

Attachments

• received_307437899871652.jpg
    received_307437899871652.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 61
  • received_185674879036961.jpg
    received_185674879036961.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 61
Back