Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie, Intro & Question - Leave Climbing Line Overnight?

Treehouser

Default Newbie, Intro & Question - Leave Climbing Line Overnight?

Hello:

New to the forum & new to tree climbing. You folks seem a good group to learn from. I have experience with rock climbing, moderate mountaineering & canyoneering, simple rigging for 4x4 recovery, sailing, etc. but little roped time in trees. I'd like to take care of our residential trees (20+ cottonwoods, 5 sycamores, assorted elms, multiple piñons & junipers, etc.) and a rental property (similar species, fewer individuals).

So - first questions:

Do you leave climbing lines placed overnight? If that's OK, is there anything to lookout for (suspend tail in bag off the ground, check for squirrels, etc?). I'm pretty slow at getting the throwline where I want it, remotely installing a friction saver, climbing & pruning so I often don't finish a tree before I tire out for the afternoon. Leaving a line in place could save some time, but I wonder about critters chewing on stuff, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Howard! Make yourself at home!

TreeHouser

Yes, also, welcome to the TreeHouse forum, Howard! I'm not a pro tree guy like most on this forum, but I've been learning from the forums and climbing on and off when I get the opportunities for better than 4 or 5 years, I'd guess.

Having said that, my impression of things is that it is considered to be a Cardinal sin to leave a life support rope in a tree overnight. I think the book answer is to buy and use the really strong throw lines, like Zing-It, for example, and tie them onto your rope as you pull your climbing rope out of the tree at the end of each day. You just have to allow the time each and every time you climb to pull them in at the beginning of the day and out again at the end of the day. I think the main fear is of rodents, as you suggested.

If you start studying about SRT techniques, you can save yourself the trouble of having to isolate a branch and setting a friction saver. It makes life easier, in that way. Good luck, and thanks for becoming a member of the TreeHouse forum. Also, feel free to ask as many questions as you need to; there are a lot of very nice and helpful people here.

Tim

Default Remember!

There are no dumb questions - just dumb cows.

I’ve never heard of issues leaving a line in a tree overnight. Leastways not in Europe.

Welcome btw.
    I’m condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

My only issue is theft. I left a nice bullrope in a backyard tree of a house that was being renovated: there were painters working inside. When I came back the next morning the rope was cut at about 8 feet.

I've had pull lines chewed overnight.
    Peter

Always heard of that, never had it happen - but I've only left ropes a couple times.

Welcome to the forum.

I once left a job and left a throwline in the tree overnight. Next morning I fight my climbline on and start hauling it up the tree. It snapped after about 5 pulls. I reckon it was squirrels.

I guess it is easier to see critical damage on a climbing rope compared to a 2mm throwline.
    Rich.

I've had pet squirrels, one for 12 years. I never once saw them one on anything that was soft, but they'd be all over anything hard.

Interesting.