Pecan Hinge Failure -- what did I miscalculate?

The Sherlock Holmes comment.

Could go either way.

F'ing text-online, non-real time, interaction. Quite primitive, considering someone walked on the moon and came back alive and well in 1969 or so...50 years basically.

In time, it will all be video posts.

What percentage of diameter was your hinge?

Go get a magnetic bubble level, go in the garage, use a mirror, practice holding the bar level, look in mirror, and check the bubble.

P.S. you might be tall, with a short bar, and standing. Looks like you need to cut at a comfortable height.

Yesterday, most face- cuts were 2-3" off the ground, as I was pushing at 7', so I needed to maximize my leverage. I was on all 4's checking ALL my cuts.

When your at about 1/3 depth face-cut, you haven't really destabilized most trees by that much.
Calm down!!!
Slow down!!!
NO reason you couldn't have made a level back-cut if you decided to.

Did you mark your back cut before cutting, step back, look, and say to yourself that the mark is square?

You can't keep cutting sloppy and live.

Holy cow! I apologize to those of you who thought I was being an asshole with my last post. I was actually impressed with Marc's diagnosis and was trying to be funny. I hate being misunderstood. But you all keep on thinking I'm an asshole, that's fine. I'll head back over to my car forum and leave the tree shit to you.

Dropping trees (safely) is all about the math and that includes some geometry too.

Focus on cutting the hinge properly and smile when it crashes where you want it to go.

Holy cow! I apologize to those of you who thought I was being an asshole with my last post. I was actually impressed with Marc's diagnosis and was trying to be funny. I hate being misunderstood....

That's how I read it...!

Brian, with your history of jumping on people and actually being an asshole you should not be surprised when a post like you posted could be taken the wrong way. No smilie? No wagging tongue? Just cocky words? No wonder it was interpreted like it was.

Emoticons have their place. Hey, link me up to a Ford VS Chevy thread at that car forum. I'd like to lurk! :P

See how that works?

I thought it was a good diagnosis, too.

Brian, I'm also misunderstood in writing a lot.

It'll be a cool day when forums will just have little video snips. Rather than writing LOL, you will see someone's coffee on the screen. Until then, we have to hope they develop the missing emojis, like being facetious, a tip of the hat, and one for when someone IS being sarcastic.

I feel I have one more post left in this thread.

All this hinge analysis is pointless, it frigged up cos there was not enough pull.

I feel I have one more post left in this thread.

All this hinge analysis is pointless, it frigged up cos there was not enough pull.

...yep , I believe Gerry mentioned something about these choices in Fundamentals (go the slow sure route and climb , rig ,and lower vs. a sometimes quicker Rig and pull for all the marbles)Though my book is long gone now but I believe he discussed the careful choice one has to make to even attempt it as a potential Pull Tree (one must consider all the factors including Hazards , Lean , Weight , capabilities of MA pull gear , hinge quality , ect. ) in the first place. Shakespeare wrote ... To Pull or Not To Pull , theirin lies the question

Should've just bolted some metal hinges to it.

I wonder if anyone has ever cut some boards and bolted them to the sides of the trunk where the hinge ends would be to strengthen the hinge on heavy leaners?

Of course a guide line pulling against the lean would be faster, easier, more practical, & stronger in most cases

Attachments

• extra tree hinge.jpg
    extra tree hinge.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 47
The metal hinge should be really beefy to sustain the giant load when the notch closes. It seems to me that some metal bits would fly around !

Not a realistic idea, imo...physics of a leaner like that pictured vs. a few lag bolts and a short length of board? No way that will hold.

Stump forensics tells me that you had too much hinge wood, but no where near enough to make the tree hold back like that.

A lot of people are saying that the hinge was too thick... I don't see it that way... Original back cut seemed to be deep enough if there was proper pull to get the tree moving in the right direction. If anything it was high on the one side (as was said plenty too), which caused needless drag on the hinge....

Simply not enough pull... and did anyone notice the tractor there??? Suppose the truck started spinning rubber.. That would have been tine to get the tractor pulling..

Would be good to know why Woody didn't set a higher pull line...

He's fortunate to have so many caring and knowledgeable friends around here..

Back