3 man Fir takedown

Not one bit.

It's pitchy, some, but dries much faster than hardwood like oak.

Burn dry, burn hot, as with all wood.

Burning a cold fire with wet wood is a recipe for creosote.

Grand fir is a pitchy mess.

Pitch doesn't matter for burning, as long as you give the fire enough air.

Pitch is zero concern. Moisture content of the wood itself is the bigger concern. Fir dries great/fast and the more pitch it has the easier it is to light. Lol.

Agreed Justin.

Also, Sean... Madrona/Arbutus leaves a TON of freakin clinker which you have to mine out of your stove. Super over-rated PNW wood, imho. I'd take Fir over it any day of the week. I burn Arb for a novelty.

Splitting wedges are the tool. All that rest is foolishness.

Not even Douglas fir in that video, best I can tell. Maybe Grand.

I'm kind of a fan of blowing off pieces every strike, without having to listen and make that metal slamming metal noise (carries through to the close neighbors).

I have steel wedges.

Today might be a carb rebuild day for the real way to split wood...

Sorry, we cheat: 30 ton log splitter. Yes, loud for the neighbors, but only run it once a week and usually at our woodlot, not in the neighborhood.

I think the drone of a small gas engine (more bass) doesn't carry or register on the ears as much as repetitive maul/ sledge on steel splitting wedge.

I just haven't had time to fix my splitter since it quit.

I like swinging a maul. I don't like pain cropping up later from doing a bunch, on top of tree work.

I hate splitting wood by hand, stupid waste of energy. Especially when those little electric/hydraulic splitters are so cheap.

Save your energy for something that pays.

I suppose it's better than hitting a tractor tire repeatedly with a sledgehammer. At least you wind up with burnable wood in addition to the calorie loss...
slegehammer.jpg

Splitting can develop form and ergonomics, footwork, hand/eye coordination, plus provide satisfaction.

Splitting can develop form and ergonomics, footwork, hand/eye coordination, plus provide satisfaction.

Word. I have a little gas splitter but straight grained wood? I'll take that on by hand and I find it easier then lifting or rolling(in vertical split position for the big ones) rounds about. On solid ground and good wood I don't need no splitting block I just have at it.

Plus when you get old AF and you can still do it, makes you think heck how bad off can I be if this is still doable. :|:;)

Still splitting by hand here...if I can't giterdun, I call M out...she takes on the tough ones, all 105 pounds of her 65 year old still kickass body :D.

Grow a pair, ya wimps :lol:.

I use a Fiskars ax maul thing for straight stuff. Quicker than machine and satisfying. Split some big blocks of ash with vertical splitter. Nasty. Thought the smaller stuff would split by hand. Wrong.

Got to make a platform for the vertical splitter function. My knee and gut got sore from keeping it straight on the foot. I laid some lumber down in one layer and some plastic decking boards crosswise on them. Now I need to fasten them together and cut a hole in them for the splitter foot. Work smarter.

We still get some American Elm around here. That stuff calls for a splitter.

Back