Rock climbing gyms

This is a good line: " Climbing at the gym is exercise disguised as fun which is always the best kind of exercise. "

come down here Cory, I'll take you out for some fear therapy. I've been slack about going to the gym. Lately, the days have been stellar for getting outside. Now the weather is starting to suck.....

I climb at the Riveter here in asheville.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like a sweet gym spot.

Ha, re fear therapy, I feel like I get, or have gotten, more than enough OTJ!

But the rocks and cliffs down your way look awesome and beautiful, I'd love to check it out.

Got rained outta work today, freezing rain to be precise, and went to the gym, had a nice sesh with a warm up on the tread mill and yoga mat, then did some climbing, the highlight of which was getting (sending? I'm not too hip on the out-there climbing terms) a 40' 5.9 that had rejected me probably 30x before, made me heart soar like an eagle :dude: . 5.9 is always my limit.

Last edited:
I have some pretty nice 5.8+ routes I could show you. I'll lead everything.....plus I can drag anyone up anything most times. Heck, some of my most favorite routes are well below that grade. Like the North Ridge of Table Rock (5.5)...any monkey with a shovel could climb that.

not calling you a monkey or nothing, and don't bring a shovel

More often than not, back in my halcyon days of rock climbing in the 1970's, me and my rockhead guys and gals would choose the less challenging routes for little day trips out. Have a good breakfast at a roadside cafe, smoke a little bud, climb an easy route, break out the beers from the cooler topside that one of us took the days' duty to hike up there, then speed rappel down for humor.

Sure, it was somewhat risky behavior...but we had some mighty fine fun :D. At 20 years old, we of course were bulletproof :lol: .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have some pretty nice 5.8+ routes I could show you. I'll lead everything.....plus I can drag anyone up anything most times.

If you PM me your phone # I might take you up on that, the pics you've posted show a beautiful area I'd love to experience, and with a local it'd be even better

Back