Rock climbing gyms

wall.jpg wall2.jpg wall3.jpg

you need a lot of holds so you don't get bored. Play a game with kids called "add a hold". kinda like horse......last climber to pull all the moves in a row wins

wall is adjustable with boat winch.....chains for back up. You can make it so steep no one can do it...lol

also have a indoor basement "cave" wall....cant find those pics. Basically a room completely covered with holds, ceiling included.

scoured craigslist for several years buying holds for less then dollar each..........

Slopers!........no tits on that wall......yall be dreaming

also upgraded seating to a row of old movie theater seats......rad

That's absolutely awesome. Gotta be some of the best exercise available to youngsters.

peapod is my daughter.....Not even sure if leo was born when you came for a visit......time flies

Peapod!!! Now I do remember...yes, Leo was a wee tyke when I was there. I think Peapod may have been 4 years old when I was there. They look good.

Exceptional wall you have there.

Nice set-ups for climbing.

With 'bouldering', every fall is a ground-fall. It's fun. It's challenging. It's got every fall as a ground-fall.

Ropes are your friend, if you have to have good ankles to go to work, or something of that nature.

Auto belays are a double-edged sword. If you want to train, run 'laps'. No need for a belayer to stand around, neck craned, while you work stuff out or want to train endurance or speed.

You need a real human belayer to develop balance, like fine balance, as the Autobelay is always pulling on you. Too tight of a belay is detrimental to a climber.

Bouldering allows you to develop the balance without needing a belayer.

You can do well to develop your endurance and balance by traversing sideways, and going up and down to a reasonable height, without much risk of a bad ground fall, if you're good at falling well.

before the advent of "maxi pads" we had to climb down off everything we bouldered.....no one jumped. Hence why grades have gotten harder for sure. Was strictly viewed a training for actual climbing. I enjoy bouldering but avoid shit that will result in serious injury these days.

A healthy mix is a good way to look at it. Hell, even aid climbing is fun.....starting to go down a rabbit hole ......

I still have some unfinished business in california on the eve traverse.......now that school is almost over, its time to address it. I love some alpine climbing

this thread has inspired me to get moving! thanks ! this night shift thing gets in the way a little......sounds like whining don't it..lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
this thread has inspired me to get moving!

Awesome!

Looks like I'm going tonite too. Not too sure about climbing on a "school nite" with work tomorrow but whateva

IMG_0511.jpg IMG_1668.jpg

basement cave.....one is from the initial phase of construction.Other is complete room

off to see "free solo" this afternoon. Still can't believe honored soloed free rider. Its supposed to be excellent film

I saw it, 5 stars.

Kids must love that room

That looks fun and the grom has ability.

But over a staircase? smh

IMG_20181007_150616315_HDR.jpg

6 and fearless, at the gym.
Outside was a different thing all together.

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_173218881.jpg
    IMG_20180923_173218881.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 39
Out near Vantage, WA and George, WA. The Gorge Amphitheater.

Frenchman's Coulee is the crag in the area, as known simply as 'Vantage'. That is just in the area. Didn't take pics...dead battery at the crag.

Columnar basalt...rimrock.

Hey this thread been quiet too long!

No Bivy posts a good amount of cool rock climbing stuff here and there, maybe if we post more general rock climbing stuff here, it can be more easily found and referred to later.

Anyway, I still climb at the rock gym once or twice a week in the fall, winter and spring. I really like it cuz there is 'something' to climbing. Getting to the top of climb which is at the absolute limit of your abilities is a superb feeling. Idk if I posted this before but we climbed in the Gunks last last fall and it was f'g awesome. Climbed this summer on the coast of ME which was great too but a little less so, only because the guide wasn't as good.

Climbing at the gym is exercise disguised as fun which is always the best kind of exercise.

I just read this story by a climber and thought it was well written and cool so I'm posting it here, maybe y'all will like it too

Back