Ups and Downs...

TreeMuggs

Treehouser
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J51e8knGnfg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm glad I could always bomb when I could. Having to rope the trunk down like that woulda sure slowed things down. I like to leave a brush pile and lay them into that. Cool vid!

Now that was nice! Simple photography and great music, well done.

Those riggin rings are pretty cool no doubt Muggs.

Great for light n medium stuff, but the smaller bend radius would worry me catchin big trunk wood though, blocks still have nitch IMO.

Nice work mate.

Jomo

Nice! We usually use a block in the tree (or natural crotch rigging), but are looking to add some X-Rigging to our arsenal of tools. Nice demonstration.

That's real work....I agree with Bermy....good framing, editing and music. I liked seeing how you rigged your camera. It's always something I wonder about but not many folks show that.

Good ropeman.

Chunk it down, cannot understand that rigging. I wouldn’t even use a brush pile for fear of making the chipping harder.

One log on the deck then hit it with the others. Worst case scenario you buy a bag of compost.

My first instinct is to chunk and chuck, but that comes from working solo.

Personally I like to redirect my climb line to the limb I'm working, I worry about ripping the saddle apart and falling through it, but that's just me. ;)

Nice video.

I liked the video.

I can't see why you would negative-block if you can rig bigger into the overhead stem. Care to comment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Overhead stem was very far away, rigging off it would mean a big swing toward the house. Camera doesn't do it justice, that Cottonwood was monstrous. Base of the tree was on a hill, can't tell from the video. Chunking pieces down would have had them bouncing off the hill and smashing the fence.

I was very much against negative rigging for the first 10 years in the trade. Only used it when I absolutely had to. My education in climbing was snap cutting and chunking stuff down. Now with rings and safebloc, I don't mind it at all. Opened up a whole new world of options...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really like how this video turned out, that's why I shared it. I was trying to use visual storytelling, without words or narration, to show a small part of a very, very big climb. All the best.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick.
Camera's often lie.

After enough close calls/ near death experiences, I trust my safety to other people as little as I need to.

I'm a big fan of self-lowering, as possibly.

I'm a fan of crash pads, too.

Not so much a fan of negative rigging, because it means trusting others. Most guys are not trust-worthy. Good your have a good roper.

Thanks for the explanation Patrick.

In those circumstances that thing where you run a line down the tree to the bottom and attach the log to it, so it freefalls but stays close to the tree and doesn’t run off, what’s that called?

Vertical speedline to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BokS9pyY5ts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stinkin' Stig...always one step ahead!!! :D

In case Mick and STig missed my marvelous video...we cross posted:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BokS9pyY5ts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I typically tell people that I can treat it like the Queen's gardens, but buying and spreading a couple bag of soil and grass seed is going to be way cheaper for them, than me protecting their grass.

Some people want more savings, a few people don't care about the saving, and want low-impact.

Back