Used tree gaffs edit-SOLD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Treehouser
Have 2 sets of tree gaffs that I will likely never use. Hoping someone can use them. No pads or straps are included. Just what you see in the pics.

First pair are Buckingham steel, permanent 3.5 inch tree gaffs. I've been using them for 13 years, they're used but good condition and should last a lifetime. Good for thick bark.

Price is 80$ and payment will be made as a donation to The TreeHouse :)
Let me know here or by PM. 20181101_174317.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
2nd pair are Spyder Climb Right aluminum tree gaffs.
These came used in a lot I got on fleabay and I never did anything with them. It looks like there's only 1 set of rigid pads that will fit them. They're pretty dull.

Price is 80$ and payment will be made as a donation to The TreeHouse :)

20181101_175826.jpg

I had a set of climbrights, couldn't get comfy, went back to bashlins and gecko, but either of those for $80 will see someone right to start off with.

My first set of spurs were exactly that model of Buckingham. Great set of spurs.

Spring for a set of caddy pads, and for lower straps make sure to get the two piece with a split ring to mount them, rather than a single strap...you'd be a happy spur climber, imo.

That's the exact setup I used, Burnham.
Caddies and straps are now riding on some Bashlin aluminums, and I couldn't be happier :)

Yea, Brian turned me on to the angled shin cup pads. Small as a Filipino hostess and fits just as well!

You're welcome!

So the Buckingham gaffs are sold folks.
The aluminum Climb Rights are still for sale for 80$ and that will all go to The TreeHouse.

Good to know they'll get put back to work, Rusty. Enjoy and be careful of your own feet and legs as well as your rope.

Just in case anyone is interested in the Climb Right alum gaffs, I own them now. So unless he had two sets they are sold.

Nailer B

Yes, both sets are sold. Rusty and NailerB, thanks for helping out here :)

So how's the Climb Rights working out for you? I was tempted to take a big flat file to them, but figured I'd let the buyer sharpen them and I wouldn't take the chance of screwing them up. Also learned that these are the exact same as Stein X2 climbers, just different branding and colors.

I took the gaffs off and went after them with a belt sander, work great now. I believe the gaff profile has been changed on newer models which should make keeping sharp easier. Thanks again

I would surmise that in most cases the belt sander should not be needed. The gaffs on the Climb Rights were like stubs and I just got tired of filing right damn quick. I tried using a soft grinding pad but the grinder was to fast and started showing blue almost immediately which is a no go. 120 grit on a 4x36 belt sander worked great, RPM's were slow enough that metal didn't color and the flat surface made it easy to keep gaff flat and even. Now that the profile has been set I hope I never have to do that again, a file for touch up should suffice.

Yeah, the profile of the spike seemed screwy, they needed some metal removed to make it more like what you see on Buckingham or bashlin gaffs.

Old boss of mine used a belt sander to do chipper knives, they turned out really good too. A standing machine, not a handheld one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back