Rigging With a Tirfor Winch

Tirfor goes place a Bobcat can't ... Not sure how hard the Petrol models are to drag around (plus I don't think they run hard rigging)

Don't be fooled by the numbers given by the manufacturer.
Tirfor's rating is a straight pull, the real usable force of the device.
The others like to play with the numbers to make their products look nicer.
The red one says 3 tons lifting, but actually it's only 1.5 ton on the rope, without the small pulley. Even worse, 6 tons dragging, impressive, but that's the weight of the truck to be hauled, not the dragging force. The ground holds the 6 tons, not the winch.

It's like some small hydrolic bottle jacks, said to be 2 tons. But it's only the car's weigh, the lifting began to be difficult past the motion range of the suspension and no way you can double that to get the so-called power of the thing.

I hate this practice.

Ok, I think I opined earlier in the thread that a petrol winch would be much more effective, lighter, faster and stronger.

I still think that.

Just get a couple of apprentices to drag the Tirfor around and you are good to go.
Been my method for years.

Ok, I think I opined earlier in the thread that a petrol winch would be much more effective, lighter, faster and stronger.

I still think that.

perhaps they are quicker and lighter, but tirfors also have key advantages over a petrol winches. Firstly steel cable does not stretch, which when doing some critical work can be a huge advantage. Secondly and very importantly they can lower and raise a load in a controlled manor.
i own both and would not be without either

I'm looking at the electric winches for off road, around 60 kN and dyneema rope, for the heavy tree pulling. But the electric par is annoying if the truck can't access. Can we (relatively) simply power the winch with a small gas engine, saying 6-9 hp, instead of the electric motor or is there more to it?

Gets me to the reason I won't pull trees with the Lewis winch ... what happens when you hit the limit on pull power ?? .... at least I know the Tirfor won't give up any line

Back