Rigging With a Tirfor Winch

Safe, compact and very trustworthy. Every gang box should have one. The only drawback I’ve seen with the brands I’ve used is the cable is proprietary, not an off the shelf idem. For that reason I suggest using the winch cable on straight pulls only and any other cable for redirects.

I've used them for boulders on trail projects mostly. Heavy boulders.

And when you don't want a stump in the trail tread, just choke it high enough, and rip the thing out of the ground like nothing (bigger unit).

They have shear pins (which I think have a little compartment on the winch box or in the handle).

One handle to go forward, another to reverse.

I've used them for boulders on trail projects mostly. Heavy boulders.

And when you don't want a stump in the trail tread, just choke it high enough, and rip the thing out of the ground like nothing (bigger unit).

They have shear pins (which I think have a little compartment on the winch box or in the handle).

One handle to go forward, another to reverse.

If I’d get one made the liability would probably be on me, if it’s OEM then it’s on them. Or so I hope.

Strong but very slow pull. Cumbersome. Used them for years when I started out, but would not entertain one now.

Very slow, but good, most people I know substitute the shear pin for something indestructible and beast it.

Mine sort of fell apart years ago, never felt the need to replace it.

I have a 1 ton and a 5 ton.
Have had them since forever.
I got introduced to them when I was logging in Schweiz in the late 70es and when I started working in Denmark, I bought a 5 ton.

For places where we can't get a skidder in, they are still our go to tools.

Make sure not to set the cable directly in the tree you are pulling.
Sure way to kink and ruin the wire.

We use the same 22 ton Dyneema rope for the Tirfor that we use for all other pulls.
Attaching it to the winch hook with a friction brake.
In our case our "Super size Porty".

I have an old 5 ton in the back of the workshop somewhere. Big, heavy & cumbersome, I truly hate the thing, but it has it's place. It has been used 4 times over the last few years - twice to get the tracked chipper unstuck & twice pulling heavy back leaning stems over.

Many miles on mine , lot of pull Trees ... Vehicles , Logs , Stumps and Rocks. Got mine used from the Ski Area cheap w an abused cable. Cirque De Soleil uses hundreds of Tirfors for their tents and theatre rigging.

The thing to always remember when using a slow puller of any sort...the sawyer has to be patient. Let the winch do it's work at it's own pace.

I have seen a perfectly fine setup go south because the cutter got antsy and decided he needed to cut more, thinned the hinge too much, and the tree went to the side due to limb weight when the hinge failed.

Now if you have any windy, gusty, swirly weather...probably not the best choice of pulling tool. In that case you may not have the luxury of plenty of time.

Back