Saw-Protective Pants Preferences, Particularly for Climbing, Please

SeanKroll

Treehouser
What are people's favorite's for various work and conditions (hot, cold, groundwork, climbing, wet, arid, etc.)?

Pfanner Arborist type A (front protection) or type c (all round protection).

I have had quite a few pairs over the years. Currently have 2 pairs on type A and one type c with a brand new pair of a’s ready to bring out when the time is right.

I am based in Norway but contrary to popular belief it is pretty hot in the summers. We had about three months solid of 26degrees c to 36degrees c.

A’s for the summer months and c’s when it get colder.

The fit is similar to jeans for me, plus I get to order them with extra 7cm in length. Suits the taller gentleman.

Pfanner ventilator for logging and climbing.
Worn with suspenders instead of a belt, the ventilation system works fine.

I don't use the anti tick inserts, since I don't get ticks anyway and they hamper ventilation.

I have pfanner A ventilations, tolerable for heat and humidity thanks to the zip vents in the back, and taking out the gaiters . Put the gaiters back, zip up the vents and add a pair of long johns they are good for winter.

I only say tolerable for heat because they were too much for the height of Bermuda summer, the humidity is a killer.

My next pair is going to be clogger zero gen2. I'm happy to add long johns underneath for the cold, but need comfort for the hot. These ones are reviewing very well

I tried two different sizes of Clogger Zero's...Med. and Lg. I'm not a big guy...145#, 32" waist, 5'10" Both sets were too tight to move in...serious groin squeeze if squatting or lifting a leg above waist level (climbing!).

I sent them back.

The Arbortec Breatheflex Lime Chainsaw Pants are working well for me..as long as the temps are not too high. They are too hot for summer work here.

Arbortek Breatheflex chainsaw pants.jpg

I have moved way from pfanner to the SIPS - I find them preferable in quality & comfort, but in reality I am splitting hairs as the both are top end manufacturers.
I like the ventilation zips & flexibility, they also have a built in gaiters as we have a serious tick problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Curious to know which chaps Reg C uses with shorts for ground felling/bucking. :D

Now that's a time for chaps. We have himalayan blackberries with some wicked thorns around here. It is not the initial poke or scratch, but the irritation of something under your skin if the tip breaks off.

People make a big deal about climbing in shorts. I don't climb on my knees. Every once in a while I'll use lean against knee for solid cutting positioning, spurless typically. Sometimes a knee-bar.

Says "out of stock". The Product Overview reads great. Reads like they would be easy to move around the tree with them.

Product Overview:

Personal protective equipment is no joke. It is the first and vital step to working safe day in and day out. Enter the new chainsaw pants from SherrillTreethe climbing pants adapted for tree work by tree workers. At a mere 3 lbs. they are lighter than most on the market. Constructed of Armortex abrasion-resistant fabrics featuring DuPont KEVLAR, they are as tough as you and your work.

Reinforced at the crotch, knees, and inside the calf, they can handle the sit, stand, climb, cut, squat and crawl that tree climbers dish out
Wide belt loops and suspender buttons along with really comfortable waist elastic will keep these pants on any arborist
Angled front pockets with zippers
Functional rear pocket and a generous leg cargo pocket, complete with sleeve for your cell also have zippers and/or Velcro
Cuffs have Velcro cinching so you can seal off the tops of your boots
Abrasion-resistant, 2-way stretch fabric in frontand the dirt and oil resistant, antibacterial, 4-way stretch in the backwork together to cover the 8-layers of breathable warp-knitted, type-A chainsaw protection

I bought some of the chaps things many years ago. They're hanging in the shed next to that hydraulic pole saw. I might have worn them once, can't really remember for sure.

Prolly not nutball.
I wear my chaps religiously on the ground. Out of habit now. I’ll be in saw pants before to long I’m sure. I’m dreading it for a few reasons. Summertime heat is one. Another is how they seem to fit. I had to give up wrangler jeans because of causing traffic issues if I was close to a roadway. I agree they will protect me but what about the safety of the general public being distracted by my Pfanner ass? Will OSHA or ANSI pay for the traffic accidents that will undoubtably follow?

I try to keep an eye out for materials to make scratch/snag resistant white pants with a breathable back side down the pant legs. The main problem is finding durable tuff mesh. I'm thinking basically a screen type material on the back, but made of canvas or nylon.

No, tuff

noun: tuff
a light, porous rock formed by consolidation of volcanic ash.

Yes tough, it was late and I wasn't paying attention to spelling.

I’m drying these by the fire atm, they have no writing on them but SIP and a rhino.

I quite like them, comfy and robust, I get through them quite fast so I don’t want to pay too much.

I’m not really one for knowing the names of my boots, ropes etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 31
2 favorite:
Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation pants for fall and winter.
CLOGGER ZERO GEN 2 CHAINSAW TROUSERS all year round.

Back