Jonsered big saws Discontinued?

Nutball

TreeHouser
I was looking at the Jonsered website, and couldn't find saws bigger than 55cc. Did they discontinue them? We're am I supposed to get red saws now?

And what all good brands are still out there I really only know of 3 (Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo). I like the somewhat unique look of the big Jonsereds even though their whole line up is basically a copy of Husqvarna saws.

I'm tired of looking at all the orange, especially orange that fades to an ugly mis matched orange.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've noticed that, but nowhere near often enough to remember which models. Some I know has to do with the material difference. I don't like how my Echo 271t went from a good looking even orange to a faded, very mismatched orange as if they used different plastics. Major fading in general is annoying, and I often tried to keep it in the shade since new. Husqvarna and Stihl tend to hold color well if not left outside all the time.

It's just refreshing to see a different color saw like Jonsered's dark red, or Makita's green-blue. I was just looking for a confirmation that they discontinued the big Jonsereds. I might then try to find a new one to keep in the box till I start wearing mine out. It's only 51 tanks old, so it will be a while.

Tractor Supply Co. stopped carrying them about 6 months ago, went back to the Swedish mothership. It always felt as if the CS2245 we have has more power than the Husqy 346XP we have. Basically the same class saw, but maybe just because the Jonsered was newer it got the crown.

Plus they look great with a Total or Oregon bar. I've always thought Oregon bars were ugly till I put the 42" on my 2188. The red and grey go well together.

DSC01075 (1024x767).jpg

I don’t sleep with any of my equipment so how ugly it is is of no importance to me as long as it performs as required. I like the pretty stuff to perform the same way but we won’t get into that here.

I'll use whatever, but the image adds just a little bit more to the experience. I'm meticulous too, so I like colors that tend to stay looking clean. Of course I too prefer performance over looks.

I don’t sleep with any of my equipment so how ugly it is is of no importance to me as long as it performs as required. I like the pretty stuff to perform the same way but we won’t get into that here.

You buy truck brands don't you?

Funny you mentioned it, I literally just re watched an old video of mine an hour ago where I test run a then new $275 chinese Husqvarna 365. I'm still surprised by its performance, and that was before I re tuned it, filed the depth gauges, and added 2% nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvQfvP2mjus

“You buy truck brands don't you?”

The last three trucks I’ve bought I didn’t buy for the truck, I bought the engine. The pos truck came with it. Couldn’t be happier with the engines, the trucks not so much.

We initially ran the 3 Chinese Kingparks as ground saws for about 3-6 months until they burnt up or proved more problematic than helpful (they use 25:1 gas mix and can be a bear to start!). Gradually cycled over to the true Swedish gear as quick as we could (372XP & 395XP)

I've always thought if I started a tree company, I wouldn't mind starting out with a few of the good chinese saws. IF I couldn't afford much

“You buy truck brands don't you?”

The last three trucks I’ve bought I didn’t buy for the truck, I bought the engine. The pos truck came with it. Couldn’t be happier with the engines, the trucks not so much.

I was thinking more on the lines of tools Snap On, Mac, Matco but I get what you are saying.

I like buying quality. My buddies dad once said "how many times do you want to buy it" meaning you can buy cheap many times or quality once.

I've always thought if I started a tree company, I wouldn't mind starting out with a few of the good chinese saws. IF I couldn't afford much

I watched enough end result videos on those Chinese epay saws and they would not last long for a tree service. You would be wasting money big time.

As I've said before, if I was starting out a tree company, I'd start out with Echo gear -- the sweet spot of price/performance/quality. Then after a year or so I'd upgrade to German or Swedish gear.

Elux wanted to slim down the production brands for years. 2004/2005 it was decided Husqvarna would be the only pro brand in future and all Elux Jonsered dealers was offered to sell Husqvarna.
Many shifted and lost 50% of customers they had. Some got a few new customers, others many and some nothing.
Elux sales dropped instead of shifted from one brand to another. So in Europe they then re-Introduced the brand and a pro line. They got some back of the old customers they lost but many shifted to Stihl, Dolmar or others.

In US its a bit different as you have a company that distribute Jonsered to their dealers in US and they decided to go with Red Max brand instead.

Jonsered dealers here is not affected by this yet, but will eventually not get saws from Elux/Hva as production will stop.
There will be no new 50cc plus saws developed in Jonsered brand. Soon they will only make consumer grade Jonsered. then no Jonsered.
Partner went this way and so will Jonsered. It is decided long ago so its coming...

But if you enjoyed your Jonsered saws made after 1995 you will like HVA as well as they are cooked in same pot.

Husqvarna is my go to brand as long as they have the 3 series. Otherwise it could be any brand I choose for the particular size saw I want. I'm surprised they still make the 365 and quit many other 3 series models considering it's basically the 372.

Jonsered went to the ole redmax name. Did hear they are going to keep jred name around for box store homeowner type sells.

Pics from last year when it happened.

redmaxzzz.jpg redmaxzz.jpg redmaxx.JPG redmaxxx.JPG redmaxxxx.JPG

Thanks for filling in the info gap! I used to have a RedMax string trimmer with a Kawasaki engine on it. Clear ditches, anything -- ripping great piece of gear.

Back