Powered Single Rope Technique

Jomo

TreeHouser
Essentially a 12 volt winch on a dolly/hand truck, that straps to the base of a tree, controlled with a wireless remote, hanging from the terminal end, a spreader T bar, splitting the tail into webbing on each side, routed through your saddles upper D rings, creating a balance point just above the waist.

Sounds a bit goofy I know, but it gets worse, in that once through the fulcrum points of the upper D's, the webbing on each side threads through each lower D on each leg and continues downward, till splitting just above the knee, to customized gator's with webbing going under each foot, allowing the climber to stand in harness, all his weight on his feet.

It's a strange sensation, and takes quite a bit of getting used to. I'm trying to make the T bar semi collapsible, as well get its distance above my head just right, but still within easy reach.

Incorporating a little generator n trickle charger on top of the winch n batteries is the plan.

Ideally the whole unit'll weigh twice what I do, so strapping it loosely to the base'll provide a little give in the system.

More a pruning tool than a removal tool, but I intend testing it on both.

I'm thinkin 1/4 in dyneema as the main winch line, and dynamic shock absorbing screamers at the T bar attachment point.

Should be an interesting R n D thread if nothing else, I'm too old for power moves upward anymore. I need buttons to push n triggers to pull n toggles to tap.

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gonna use an itty bitty gas generator to power a 12 volt trickle charger, one of the extra quiet two strokes.

The radio remote's good up to 100 feet. I intend to stay well within that range, fifty or sixty feet max.

The badass crane worthy remotes that reach many hundred feet cost thousands.

My first efforts here'll be far more humble n Harbor Freightish, I'm afraid.

Gonna do my prunin in wrestling shoes n webbing gators. Nice tacky rubber soles!

Been thinkin hard about the best redirect means for a 1/4 inch dyneema synthetic line?

Jomo

I'm just Poe white trailer trash Blackie, and I don't play lotto.

It's my neck n I'll break it any way I want.

This kinda automation's inevitable anyway.

Be nice to have it all attached to a powered wheel barrow so you can power right up to each tree base.

Been watchin too much Transformers I guess. Towable with a FourTrax?

Jomo

You’ve been busy Jomo. Where is the pistol grip limb thinga ma jig? I think I grasp what you’re saying here but I have a hard time picturing it. Good to see you back though.

In the form of a prussik n clutch, yes. But you'd be well n truly stuck if something bound up workin solo.

Of course I could always whip our the riggin pistol!

Jomo

I've got a few updated ARP's Jerr, with fairly serious braking power.

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 50
Well this particular contraption drags my sorry azz up n down trees at the touch of a button, with an unobstructed working field.

Perfect for orthopedic old foggies like me.

Got an old VHS vid of me workin a very similar concept with pneumatic tools, powered by a portable air compressor, the delivery hose integrated into the polyester jacketed climb line, about 3/4 in dia.

Pretty sure either TCIA or John Hendricksen has a copy. Same deal, powered SRT, no tail. Back in 95-96.

Jomo

Just doesn’t take friction well. Low melting temp.
Keep tinkering John. Aren’t you the one who gave away the idea that morbark adapted for their chipsafe technology?

That was a long time ago TB, in a universe far far away, when Bob Felix was still kickin round.

ChipSafe rocks.

Jomo

The coolest aspect of this stand up T bar powered SRT harness?

Is the way you can disconnect from the lower foot webbing on each leg and let the lower D rings support your weight, rather than standing up..

But by connecting to the lower foot webbing, and standing up, you can relieve all the weight restricting blood circulation, at your upper thighs.

Indidual lower D ring leg straps on each leg eliminates any pinching action drawing your legs together entirely.

The most peculiar sensation once suspended with the stand up function connected?

Is the way the T bar swivels to accommodate natural four point ascension walking up the trunk.

I firmly believe this type of harness has military parachuting harness potential.

Blood flow's blood flow regardless of the physical objective, vertically speaking.

By connecting the lower leg webbing and standing up?

The whole harness slides up about two inches above the lower and upper D ring's normal resting points.

Jomo

Back