Oak borers/beetles?

SkwerI

Treehouser
I know guys up north are familiar with EAB and other assorted tree beetles but down here the only one we have dealt with is the pine borers. This year I'm seeing lots of borer activity on oak trees. The bug is smaller than a pine borer and mostly black in color. Seeing lots of dead laurel oaks (our most prevalent tree) accompanied by sawdust around the base and these bugs all around. I'm not up on all the ISA stuff but can anybody here help fill in any details on this problem? Any treatment available? Even an accurate name might be helpful.

We are seeing a big uptick in oak blight around these parts. Took out two dead pin oaks last week and looked at another slated for removal as well.

Beside the primary predators like EAB, killing the bugs may not be each times an effective solution. A lot of bugs are attracted by the dying or /and compromised trees (age, drought, root rot...). Removing the bugs can improve a little the health of the tree, but not much, as they aren't the main factor of dye-back. Many of them just make the thing worse.
The biggest wood borer in France is even protected by law.

Sounds like you have bark beetles though pics would help.

Most prefer stressed to dying trees so perhaps investigate site and local conditions first before exploring treatment options. Spraying a bark beetle rate of a pyrethroids all over hell and tarnation is no ones idea of a good time.

Back